The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > News and Announcements > Forum news and announcements

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2010, 10:13 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default New US Forum Alignment

Hi Everyone,

From time to time there has been some discussion of reducing the number of forums. I have received complaints and suggestions that the number of different forums are just too many. So I have been working on finding a new alignment of the US forums.

Most of the members who have responded to a poll or those I have communicated with directly think we have too many Forums. So I have taken the US first. I have tried several configurations and the best I have came up with is to segregate the US into the Time Zones. That gives us Eastern States, Central States, Mountain States and the Pacific States. Alaska would normally be in the Pacific States but there is a separate Forum for Alaska and I would like to keep it that way.

So here is a Map that shows the breakdown of how I propose the states to be separated into categories. There are some problems that the Great Lakes forums will be combined into the Eastern and Central Forums.

None of the post will be lost. The old threads will be moved into the new appropriate forums. Nothing is firm and I am presenting this thread as a suggestion of how we can reduce the numbers of forums. This may be too simplistic for a first start.

Please, Please give me some feed back on your thoughts.

Frank

Click the image to open in full size.

NOTE: Those states that have small portions of the state in more than one Time Zone will only appear in one division.
Old 10-11-2010, 10:27 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: New US Forum Alignment

Frank: I like the idea.

Larry
Old 10-11-2010, 10:51 AM

MacFly55 will become famous soon enoughMacFly55 will become famous soon enough

Looks like a logical breakdown to me... and makes it much easier if you think in time zones..

on a side not.. is there going to be a realignment on the other forums ? This is not a complaint in any way.. just a question because I do like the breakdown of the specific forums...

One other comment.. and it is probably under a general forum.. but I dont see or have not found a forum on float tubes and or pontoons... ??

MacFly
Old 10-11-2010, 11:43 AM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

I like the idea as well. Seems like it could only help.
Just my half-nickel.....

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 10-11-2010, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacFly55 View Post
Looks like a logical breakdown to me... and makes it much easier if you think in time zones..

on a side not.. is there going to be a realignment on the other forums ? This is not a complaint in any way.. just a question because I do like the breakdown of the specific forums...

One other comment.. and it is probably under a general forum.. but I dont see or have not found a forum on float tubes and or pontoons... ??

MacFly

Hi MacFly,

Yes, there may be changes to some other forums. The object is to make the forum easier to use. Getting from the top to the bottom of the Forum Home Page takes a bit of scanning. Probably the most complained about feature of NAFFF is there are too many forums. We don't have a Tube or Pontoon forum right now. We have been adding new forms to accommodate member suggestions but we can't just keep adding forms with out doing away of those that seldom get used.

MacFly, my post is addressed to you but my comments are more directed to everyone.

Frank
Old 10-11-2010, 03:19 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

On paper, and the monitor, the idea looks good. My concern is that adjoining states may fall outside of ones home waters. In this local case, many people from Georgia choose to fish in NC a lot and many in NC like to raid the fishery of Tennessee.
Nit-picky I know, but a valid downside to time zones none-the-less.
Lucky for me you asked for feedback and not suggestions!

I have to ask just because I wonder though, is that Ebay thread looked at very much and is it a real resource hog. The reason I ask is that load times on this site have gotten slower and most times the 'back' button function simply reloads the same page. I noticed these small glitches appeared about the same time as the Ebay topic made its appearance.
Old 10-11-2010, 05:24 PM
Administrator

Jackster,

I am not sure I follow your logic. GA and NC are both in the Eastern time zone and they would be grouped together. These time zones are not a hard and fast rule. Just a basic way to assign specific states to a particular forum. The present forums have Ga,SC,NC in a group and MS,Al,Ten and KY are in a different group. That will stay the same.

Time zones may be too limiting how about something like this:

1. Pacific Region

2. Mountain Region

3. Central Region

4. Great Lakes Region

6. Eastern Region.

I have spent the afternoon looking at this. The above Regions works the best with the original forums. This layout will allow all of the states that were with other states to remain with each other. I would have liked to have a Gulf Coast region but the states are divided so that doesn't work well. I don't want to do this so a member can't find old threads associated with his state.

None of this is hard it is just a matter of deciding a format that meets the most needs. We now have eleven different forums that covers fishing inside the US. The threads associated with a particular state will still be associated with that state. You may have to go to a different Forum to find them. All of the forums are searchable and if you want to find information about fishing in a state, just locate the forum (region) the State is assigned to and do a search for your State. You should get a bunch of fishing information about that particular state.

Everyone, thanks for your feedback and suggestions. Keep them coming. Your comments will have a lot to do with any changes or if no changes will be made.

I will put together the Region/State break down to see what you guys think. That may not be till tomorrow.

Frank

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:56 PM ----------

Hi Everyone,

Here is the breakdown of the new forums and what states will be in that forum.

West Coast Region

Oregon, Washington, California and Hawaii.

Mountain States Region

Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, Utah, Idaho and Nevada.

Central States Region

Minnesota, Iowa, North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Alabama, Mississippi, Tennessee, Kentucky, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Oklahoma, Missouri and Kansas.

Great Lakes Region

Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio.

East Coast Region

Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, New York, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and Florida.

Let me know what you think?

Frank

Last edited by Frank Whiton; 11-19-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:02 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

That sounds good to me. The only suggestion that I could make, if I may, is that since the eastern region has the most number of states and possibly the most diverse regions you could divide it into North and South Eastern. Possibly Virginia/ Kentucky towards north would be, well, North; and the rest woud be South. This would kinda divide The colder mountain areas from the warmer areas. Now before I get a bunch of bad feedback for that, I know that there are glorious coldwater fishing opportunities in the South-eastern states.
Just a thought......Or you could just do it however would be easiest for you and we could just live with it.

Old 10-11-2010, 08:39 PM
Administrator

Hi cattech89,

Of course it would be a lot easier to just do it my way but I prefer to get something that works for the most members, if I can.

Any changes that are made have to match up with the states that are in a particular forum. So when I combine the forums the threads associated with that state stay with the state. I can't move some of the states from one forum to a different forum and then move the rest of the states to another forum. We must keep the threads for a state with that state.

There are some states with very few threads and I might be able to do something with those if it makes sense.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:51 PM

That's fine I totally understand. Just throwing it out there. Im sure that you will make the best decision for everyone.