The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: Should we keep the Daily Fly Fishing News?
Keep it, I read every one and want it to stay 1 5.26%
I don't care if it stays or goes 8 42.11%
Loose it, I never read them 8 42.11%
Stop posting the threads but give me a link to the News 1 5.26%
Stop posting the threads but keep them on NAFFF where I can read them 1 5.26%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2009, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Daily Fly Fishing News

Hi everyone,

I want to know if the Daily Fly Fishing News is popular on the forum? There are very few members looking at the Daily Fly Fishing News threads. This poll is to get a feel for what the members think about dropping the News. Sometime in the near future the site is going to be moved to a new server. The new owners will be taking a look at the format and I want to be sure the members have some say in what happens with the forum. The Daily News may have out lived its usefulness. What do you think? This a multiple choice Poll.

Frank
Old 07-25-2009, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Daily Fly Fishing News

Frank, I don't know what to choose,I once tried to post a thread but it didn't appear on the forum portal or maybe there's something I didn't understood. I think most news are posted in the general FF discussion so...maybe it's not really essential.
Old 07-25-2009, 04:15 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Frank: I didn't know it existed, I remember Steve would post daily fly fishing articles in the general discussion area.

Larry
Old 07-25-2009, 05:52 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

That type news is usually shared when a member requests info about a time or place. That seems more interesting, IMO, anyway.
One item that I would like to see changed is when a new reply is made to a thread it automatically is moved back to the top of the current thread list page. That way threads that are generating interest and dialog stay at the forefront. Those that don't slowly slip off the list. I've witnessed this work very well for years.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:32 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
Frank: I didn't know it existed, I remember Steve would post daily fly fishing articles in the general discussion area.

Larry

Hi Larry,

Steve subscribed to the News and it is down loaded and posted automatically.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:04 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

i didn't even know it existed. seems to be inefficiently run. there are multiple posts of the same thread/link. i would not miss it at all if you lost it (lose rather than loosen it i'd say lol).

the feature seems to be just a smattering of links to other articles, or at least the half a dozen i just skimmed. i get similar info from another site, midcurrent. i like their setup. you subscribe to receive daily an email compiling the subjects with links to each article. i won't give up midcurrent but if you're considering a new plan, consider something like midcurrent's.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 07-26-2009, 01:15 PM

Edd is on a distinguished road

It agree with ezamora, it is mostly links to other sites so i dont use it.
Ed
Old 07-26-2009, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezamora View Post
i get similar info from another site, midcurrent. i like their setup. you subscribe to receive daily an email compiling the subjects with links to each article. i won't give up midcurrent but if you're considering a new plan, consider something like midcurrent's.

eric
fresno, ca.
I wholeheartedly agree. I think Midcurrents news updates are ideal, some on industry updates, some links to newspapers and magazines, and some other assorted news items.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 07-27-2009, 12:33 AM

ezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the roughezamora is a jewel in the rough

to clarify, i don't have anything against something with links (what i meant to point out was the redundancy i found). that typpe of feature is offered many places in all industries,not just fly (i'm forgetting the correct terminology for these collection of links) but there are SO many fly fishing forums out there, and a lot of sources of cross news content offerings including blogs, i think if someone like NAFFF/Fish&Fly were to offer something, they need to polish it a bit. find some really creative thinkers on staff, brainstorm and offer something that can't be found anywhere else. somehow differentiate yourself from the masses. and don't bury it at the bottom off to the side if it's important to you to offer this. and publicize it somehow.

or not.

eric
fresno, ca.
Old 07-27-2009, 07:45 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

How 'bout cutting back on some of the regional pages
For Mexico and the Caribbean there's 8 different forums with a total of less than 100 topics ....ever!
Would it be so terrible to have one Mexico page... one Caribbean ?...or even combine the two ?
There's 5 forums for all of Canada.... The USA forums (11) could be cut back to something similar..there's more similarities than differences IMO and we all could benefit from reading less segregated pages
I don't know about y'all but my old computers don't load up all that fast.
Less would be more for me