The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2011, 10:55 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what are your priorities when buying a rod?

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldbrook View Post
hi,

just curious what your opinion is when shopping for a new rod:
  • do you find fly rods generally too expensive?
  • is location of the manufacturer important to you?
  • would you try a new brand of rod, and if so, what would compel you to try a new brand?
  • would you purchase a rod online?
  • what is your number one complaint about fly rods in your experience?

I am thinking of buying a new rod, and generally find the prices very high, so am considering buying one online, maybe a brand I've never heard of. any info is appreciated!
I am also interested long term in getting into rod building...
do you feel there are a shortage of brand choices, or is the market flooded?
thanks for any info guys!
When I first got into fly fishing I did find rods too expensive and to some extent I think some of them still are. I have found ways around that though and have become somewhat accustomed to prices. An example is the Z Axis, I have a 5 wt which I love and I paid full price for it from a local shop. Now they are being discontinued and on sale. So buying another Z online has little risk to me. In fact, I picked up 2 BIIX rods from Winston online because the local shops did not have what I was looking for--but again, I was familiar with the rod. When I ordered online, I patronized smaller fly shops. If I'm ordering gear online, I try and make my purchases from specialty fly shops and avoid the big box stores when possible. Too many specialty retailers are falling to the big box stores to suit my taste.

Experience with a manufacturer and a rod line is important, if you have that either from a past purchase, trying a buddy's rod, using a guide's rod, etc then I'll buy online if I can't find it locally or if I can get a significantly better price online. With that said, I think going to your local fly shop if you have one nearby is your best bet. You can test cast a bunch of rods, get advice and service after the fact is important. The good fly shops I know of will take care of you if you have a problem, and that is important. I have purchased brands that I've not had experienced with previously and have been thrilled with some, others not so much. I've pretty much always been a Sage guy, but upon discovering Winston, I have a 2nd brand that I treasure.

Place of manufacturing has some significance but isn't a huge factor for me, although I probably prefer US made gear when possible. I take into account performance, hardware, price and my budget when making a rod purchase. It just so happens that my two favorite rod manufacturers produce rods here Sage and Winston.

Warranty system does inflate prices, but if you find that special rod that you just love having a warranty to replace or repair that rod can come in very handy. Have heard wonderful things about Sage for example making new sections of long since discontinued rods for some folks, whereas if you got one made overseas, you might get a replacement rod. I guess there's good and bad with both and it's kind of a personal choice. I just know that if something happened to a rod that I found special, I'd rather have it repaired and be able to continue to use it than have it replaced by some newer version of the rod. Just my 2 cents.

Bottom line, buy the rod that best suits your taste, fishing application and budget. Then go out and fish!
Old 08-13-2011, 11:10 AM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

do you find fly rods generally too expensive?

Some of them seem expensive, but others seem reasonable.

is location of the manufacturer important to you?

It does not really matter.

would you try a new brand of rod, and if so, what would compel you to try a new brand?

If those rods are meeting my needs, I will give a try. About 2 years ago, I never heard of Greys but I found that the company was making a 10 foot rod, which at that time I thought I needed. I am happy with the product.

would you purchase a rod online?

Yes I would do so. There are some nice fly shops out there which allow me to try them as long as I do not pill off the plastic wrap of the cork of the rod.

what is your number one complaint about fly rods in your experience?

Maybe I am spoiled by the great service that I got from the Templefork’s customer service where they just replace any broken section of a rod. Compared to that, other companies overall seem to charge way too much for any repair. I understand that sometimes those companies seem to have legitimate reasons to charge us for so much, but some price tag for repair makes me to scratch my head.

do you feel there are a shortage of brand choices, or is the market flooded?

Although there are many companies, I do believe that there are lots of room to improve on the part of the rod. And there are many guys who are itching to add one more rod. So if anybody makes a good rod, there will be a customer.
Old 08-13-2011, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Do you find fly rods generally too expensive?
No, not for what you get. I am still using rods bought in the 70's. Thirtyfive years of use for $500 is a good deal to me.

Is location of the manufacturer important to you?
Yes, I want USA but I would buy England or Italy.

Would you try a new brand of rod, and if so, what would compel you to try a new brand?
Sure, I would buy any brand that I know is what I want.

Would you purchase a rod online?
Sure, but from a fly shop, not Ebay.

What is your number one complaint about fly rods in your experience?
You never have enough Weight use to be a problem but that has changed in recent years.

Frank
Old 08-16-2011, 01:48 AM

tourproto is on a distinguished road

[*]do you find fly rods generally too expensive?
Yes. I also am a competitive amateur golfer and find golf clubs to be ridiculously priced as well. I am more than happy to buy closeout gear or even used (from a reputable source) to buy at what I feel is a more reasonable price. I have lusted after the Z-Axis for years, but would not pay MSRP. Now that they are being closed out due to the Sage One, I am seeing prices in the mid $400s for new and even low $300s for slightly used. I will pick one up at those prices
[*]is location of the manufacturer important to you?
As others have said, would prefer to buy American but it is a losing battle. Looking at the Winston Passport for my wife as it is a lot or rod for the buck but it is made overseas. My guess is it is hard to build a solid rod that sells for $200 in the US
[*]would you try a new brand of rod, and if so, what would compel you to try a new brand?
I am always trying out new rods, either ones owned by friends or family. Word of mouth is the main reason to look at something. I don't rely on OEM hype for anything. I put a lot more trust in my fishing buddies. There are a very small number of fly shops where I will trust their opinion as well.
[*]would you purchase a rod online?
From an authorized dealer, absolutely if the price is right. Used rods I am a little more particular, and it depends on my comfort with the seller.
[*]what is your number one complaint about fly rods in your experience?
Too expensive and too much OEM hype ("best this", "greatest that") which makes it critical to try a rod before you buy (with your reel and line too)
Old 08-16-2011, 09:11 AM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Here are my two cents..
Do you find fly rods generally too expensive?
Absolutely, but you generally get what you pay for. I always buy the best quality I can afford since it generally lasts longer. I think the 'specialization' of this type of fishing forces the high prices. Plus some of the rod makers exploit the 'romantic mystique of fly fishing'.

Is location of the manufacturer important to you?
Not really, times have changed, rules of global economy apply and we (American consumerism & yearning for cheap prices) have led to the creation of Asia as a manufacturing power house. Plus being an engineer scientist I have visited China many times and always left impressed with their quality control and mfg. capabilities.

Would you try a new brand of rod, and if so, what would compel you to try a new brand?
Technology excites me so that is the only reason I would opt for a new brand.

Would you purchase a rod online?
If required, but prefer to support local fly shops as much as I can.

What is your number one complaint about fly rods in your experience?
The good ones with all the mystique associated with them are too expensive
Old 08-18-2011, 03:49 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

My $.02

do you find fly rods generally too expensive? Yes but you get what you pay for and used you can get great savings. There are alot of people here in Colorado who buy top end gear and end up selling it without using it alot. I acquire alot of rods in the winter when the rivers are frozen over and guys are selling off stuff after Christmas.

is location of the manufacturer important to you? Yes absolutely, mostly from a standpoint of warranty breakage return and secondly support the American workers as much as possible.

would you try a new brand of rod, and if so, what would compel you to try a new brand? Yes, I have and do. I know what sort of rod wieght / action I prefer and if a rod is widely viewed as a good rod I will buy it. When you start talking Scott, Sage,Orvis they are all fine rods some just prefer one brand over another. If I am paying retail I will test cast it but not afraid to buy a "top end" used rod without trying it.

would you purchase a rod online? Online from a local shop yes, ebay or the likes not unless I was getting a screaming deal.

what is your number one complaint about fly rods in your experience? to many to choose from. I am a gear junky so I own 12 rods and fish 1 or 2 of them 99% of the time.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:36 PM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about

quality and action
Old 04-16-2012, 09:28 PM

bennypapa is on a distinguished road

I think you should find one you like amongst your fishing buddies and shop with that in mind. You can at least try theirs out in a real world situation.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:25 AM

freebird630 will become famous soon enough

do you find fly rods generally too expensive?

When I had a high paying job before I retired no but now that I'm retired I buy the best rod I can afford that comes with strong reviews and recommendations from my fly fishing friends.

is location of the manufacturer important to you?

I buy Amercian if it's available for nearly the same price but I will and have bought import rods both Fly rods and spinning rods.

would you try a new brand of rod, and if so, what would compel you to try a new brand?

Yes I have just recently bought a couple Fly Logic Fly rods and a Laccorsse Fly rod. Usually the reasons for buying are price point and recommendations from friends who fly fish.

would you purchase a rod online?

The last 3 I bought were bought online.

what is your number one complaint about fly rods in your experience?

High cost of the big name brands that I used to buy when I had a high paying job.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:32 AM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

If it casts well and isnt more than 300 bucks ill buy it. I wont buy it onlone because i wont know how it casts. 1. performance 2. price 3. looks