The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: Of the flies that you fish with, do you tie them or buy them?
I don't tie 60 20.13%
I'll tie a few here and there 50 16.78%
I buy them occasionally 89 29.87%
What? Spend money on flies? 99 33.22%
Voters: 298. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 03:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Do you buy or tie?

Hi there,

Like Diver Dan said, it is good to support your local shop. We have a place here in Wasilla called Three Rivers Fly Shop, I stop in now and then to buy hooks or some other item and often buy a few flies if I see something that looks fishy.

I have been fishing for a long time and have collected more materials than I will ever use. The one thing that I enjoy today as much as I did when I was a kid is wandering slowly through a fish'en shop looking at everything. The guys who run Three Rivers always give me a cheerful greeting and make some small talk when I stop in. I don't try to impress them with tales of my experience, I listen to what they have to tell me. It seems that since they feel I may need some pointers I get some useful information regarding how they are catching their fish.

They will like me more soon because I'm going to try a pair of the Simms G4 waders and a G4 jacket also. The conditions I faced out on the islands this fall drove home the point that "good' rain gear just wont do. I need the best, and the shop sells it. I could buy online or go to Anchorage where I would save a few bucks but the small shop needs the revenue.
mikey_boots likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-17-2009, 01:50 PM

kyflytyer will become famous soon enough

I've been tying for 15 years and have only purchased flies once during that period. I was on a trip to Belize and lost one of my fly boxes and had to replace the flies.
Old 01-03-2010, 08:35 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

I tie 99 percent of all the flies I use. Now and then I see a pattern I want to duplicate, and I buy it. I rarely tie a really small fly...size 16 is as small as I can see, or tie...but I prefer to tie size 12 and up flies. I have bought a few from local shops...but not many. I tie a lot more flies than I use, but I am trying to get practice, and become a better tyer.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:03 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
I tie 99 percent of all the flies I use. Now and then I see a pattern I want to duplicate, and I buy it. I rarely tie a really small fly...size 16 is as small as I can see, or tie...but I prefer to tie size 12 and up flies. I have bought a few from local shops...but not many. I tie a lot more flies than I use, but I am trying to get practice, and become a better tyer.
Almost all of that is exactly what I would have said. Except I can see small flies....with my 3.0 readers. Dan
And I don't have a local shop. Oh, and the only flies I've bought are a few EP flies.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:22 PM

flytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura aboutflytyer_neal has a spectacular aura about

I also tie everything, my fishing partner wants me to tie for him.....I said get a vise.... the only thing I have bought is also a new fly at my favorite shop in Basalt, Colorado (frying pan area ) Taylor Creek...then I learn to tie it. Must Support Fly Shops....I buy alot of my tying supplies at Fly Shops
Old 01-05-2010, 10:54 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I tie most of my own now, but I do buy some flies from the local fly shop, and occasionally I will grab some hard to tie patterns when I am in cabelas, especially if there is a hatch on. I had some bad hackle for a while so had real trouble with dry flies, but thanks to some coaching and advice from a couple members of this board who shall remain nameless cause I don't want to embarrass Ard or Mark or Allan or...... I now have some better hackle and have been starting to tie up a few dries. So, I guess I would say I tie 90 to 95% now.

Dave
Old 01-31-2010, 11:07 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

I buy 100% Bucking the trend of responses.

I lose a lot of fly's especially since I started tandem and Czech nymphing.

However, when I buy I will purchase in bulk. Last online order 3 of us bought 90 dozen fly's for an average of 48 cents a fly. This year I bout 37 dozen on ebay for 31 cents a fly. They were all midges and nymphs.

I do have to admit. I am getting closer to wanting to tie my own because I can't get my favorite fly with a Tung head or lead wrap base.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:21 AM

alcorn is on a distinguished road

I've spent the first year buying or adopting flies from other people. There was stuff I'd see and couldn't get anyone to replicate. Started tying about three weeks ago and am definately not saving money on it but its just so darn relaxing to go into my basement, turn on the stereo and just think of nothing but tying for an hour or two at a time.
Old 02-02-2010, 10:04 AM

bloodhound is on a distinguished road

tying is over half the fun, having caught the biggest trout i have ever caught on a trout shop tied fly is one thing but saying i fooled a fish with something i created is epic and make the catch and release that much more exciting. just my opinion. also getting frustrated at the bench over and over again and finally getting it down just right is a great feeling as well.
Old 02-02-2010, 06:10 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I've got to agree with bloodhound here. I make my own rods to. Imagine the satisfaction of a big fish on a rod you built with a fly you invented and tied. Priceless.