The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: Of the flies that you fish with, do you tie them or buy them?
I don't tie 65 19.52%
I'll tie a few here and there 57 17.12%
I buy them occasionally 101 30.33%
What? Spend money on flies? 110 33.03%
Voters: 333. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2010, 07:30 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Do you buy or tie?

Unfortunately I have to buy all of mine right now. Hopefully that will change soon as I really want to learn to tie.
Tuck
Old 02-25-2010, 01:23 PM

ddombos2 will become famous soon enoughddombos2 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to ddombos2 Send a message via Skype™ to ddombos2

What? Spend Money on a Vise, Tools, Materials, and Hooks?

Tying flies for personal satisfaction, hobby or art is a wholly worthwhile activity on its own. I hope no one is trying to make it a fiscal responsibility discussion. I wonder what the return period is on the investment for fly tying equipment in terms of # of flies.

At this stage of my fly fishing, my major capital investing goes toward gear that gets me out on the water and landing fish once I am there. I'll be resigned to buying my own for the foreseeable future.
Old 03-08-2010, 11:41 PM

Hockeyref is on a distinguished road

Had to say that I don't tie.... yet.

I just got into fly fishing last year and became unemployed in September... I can't afford to really get set up to tie just yet. The former co-worker that was mentoring me said this about tying flies....

"You do it 'cuz it's relaxing. You do it 'cuz you want to make a variation you can't buy. You do it 'cuz you want the challenge of duplicating the factory stuff. But, you sure don't do it to save money! What's your time worth to you? If it takes you 15 minutes to a half hour to tie a fly and you can buy it for a dollar???? I dunno about you, but my time is worth more than $4 dollars an hour! Don't rational the cost, either do it or don't do it 'cuz you want to."

Makes sense to me.... I'll probably tie because I want to, and because I relish the challenge of mastering an art.... then I'll hit the local shop, ask what they're hitting on and buy a handful.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:55 AM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

I started tying my own this winter. It's a lot of fun trying something new and I am very happy I gave it a try. Hopefully my days of buy lots of flies are now done, minus the odd ball I can't do on my own.
Cabot
Old 03-09-2010, 09:20 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I'll buy a couple here and there, but 99% of the flies I use are my own tys, I also ty for my wife, son, and a buddy it's pretty good feeling seeing others catch fish on my flies and know that thye are enjoying their time on the water and I'm helping with that.
Bear
Old 03-16-2010, 11:57 PM

AKGuide is on a distinguished road

I used to tie all the time, but then along came an inquisitive future fishing buddy and I put most of the tying gear away, for the time being. As soon as I find more room as he now resides in the room where the vice used to live I am going to have to take the vice out and dust it off.. but I am so loving having an amazing son to pass on some great angling traditions to.

Paul

Alaska Rainbow Adventures - Alaska Float Fishing Trips
Old 03-17-2010, 10:00 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I tie some and buy some. The flies I don't mind buying are the local ties. Sometimes there are real, local fly tying artists supplying the local shops.
Old 03-30-2010, 01:01 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

To get a leg up on fussy fish, nothing beats tying for the local watershed.
Patterns in the catalog are good starting points, but the tweak of a color, or size, or stage, is often the cure for fishlessness. I do buy flies from our hardware store, (nearest shop is 30 miles away) just to keep up with guiding attrition. After 30 years of tying, I'm still a hack, but nothing makes me smile more, than twisting up a fly at lunch and then using it to fool a fish.
I support local tyers as well. A guy named Burk has a shop down in the canyon.
It is astonishing how a creative tyer can help improve your average.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 08-30-2010, 08:22 PM

jamiefranklin is on a distinguished road

when i started fly fishing i bought a box full of flies , then i joined a local fishing club most of members tie, so now i have gave all bought flies away my boxes have only flies i have tied or ones from club members all hand tied flies
Old 08-31-2010, 01:50 PM

michaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the roughmichaeln is a jewel in the rough

My problem is cost of materials. I want a particular fly, say in three sizes. It might cost me $30-50 in materials if I don't have any of them. Sure, I can tie maybe 60-75 flies from those materials, but all I think I need is 2 or 3 #12s, #14s or $16s.

At a couple bucks each, I can buy them already tied for six bucks, and they're tied better than I could tie them until I had tied several dozen.

Most of the time, tying doesn't make sense for me.