The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: Of the flies that you fish with, do you tie them or buy them?
I don't tie 61 20.13%
I'll tie a few here and there 51 16.83%
I buy them occasionally 91 30.03%
What? Spend money on flies? 100 33.00%
Voters: 303. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 02:38 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni
Default Re: Do you buy or tie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkygonzales View Post
I thought I was the only fly fisher on the planet that didn't like to tie his own flies. I understand how it would be a real thrill to hook something with your own creation, but I just don't think I have it in me. This thread makes me feel a like more "normal." (Or at least as close to that as I'm going to get. ;-)
Nothing wrong with that.
I have many friends that dont even think about getting vice ..yes,I spoil them
Old 02-07-2012, 04:29 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

I agree it's an expensive disease tying Flies however after tying for many many years & hundreds,hundreds of Dollars,boxes & boxes of gear later which I have collected,gathered & bought from all over The World,I still like tying Flies as there are just some special Pattern Flies which can't be bought.
Also it's great to Tie your own Pattern then go & catch a Fish on it,as the old saying goes "The Proof is in The Pudding".
Incidently I'm waiting on another order for to finishing my latest spending spree on Tying Gear,about $200 ++ for the last six months or so,even though I ,like many other have heaps of Tying Gear we still buy more.
The only time I buy Flies is if I need them & haven't time to tie them or to get a super Pattern.
Brian.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:48 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold

I'm a newbie to both fly-fishing and fly-tying. Haven't yet cast a fly, as the weather isn't too condusive this time of year, especially for someone just learning to cast. That, however, hasn't stopped me from learning how to tie. I cannot believe how relaxing and fun it is, attempting to tie a replica of a classic fly with using a photo, a recipe, and some odd assortment of materials!

I've never really had a "small" craft that I liked to do. While my wife sewed, did some needlework, etc., I'd just spend cold winter evenings reading, surfing the web, or watching the tube. Now I have something creative, which well help me become a better fisherman (but I still leave the tube on for "background" while I tie).

As others have said, I'll likely have to tie for MANY YEARS if I ever expect to "break even" with what I have spent on vice, tools, materials, tying class tuition, etc. vs. just buying the flys, but I'm happy with the path that I've taken.

And BTW - It probably wouldn't be as much fun, nor would I have progressed as I have as a fly-tier, without the encouragement, support, and education that I've received from the more experienced members of this forum!

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 02-07-2012, 06:16 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I've tied ALL my own flies since the mid-70s and I can't imagine not tying your own. In my mind, it's that important to the understanding of the sport

Personally, I don't tie for "fun", only to supplement my hobby and I don't find it at all expensive.
I buy what I need, not what is new or popular and "found" materials make up more of my flies than anything from a supplier.
Tying your own helps you to understand what makes for a good fly design, and if your not involved with this yourself, you're relying on someone else's opinion rather than your own experence. And personal experence is the most important element to fly fishing success
Old 02-07-2012, 06:43 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Up until a couple of years ago, I tied most everything I used, except for flies I got in swaps or that had otherwise been given to me. I don't seem to have as much time these days as I would like to tie, so in the past couple of years I've bought some flies, primarily patterns I had not tied before, and to see how they were tied. For example, there's a couple of Ebay sellers that had some nice looking flies I thought I could use, so I've bought them. Actually, I bought some of the same flies a couple of times, as they turned out to be very well tied, and likely as cheap or cheaper than I could tie them. Besides, I've been a struggling commercial tier too in the past, so don't mind helping someone out a bit.

I've also bought some that just looked good to me too, and got a good price on them. For example, Orvis had some flies for 50 cents each for a short time, and I bought some of them just to add to what I already tied.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 02-07-2012, 07:15 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

I have bought them in the past, but that was so I had a means to go out and fish. Now that I have what I need to tie my own, I see no need to really buy anymore. Tying is a great way to learn flies.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:19 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Tying is a great way to learn flies.
Buying a few well tied flies for samples to copy is not a bad way to learn either!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 02-07-2012, 07:26 PM

Lambster has a spectacular aura aboutLambster has a spectacular aura about

I buy and tie when time allows it! Grand kids take up alot of my time but enjoy setting down when its cold outside and tie up a few dozen for spring.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:06 PM

tbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to beholdtbblom is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mack_s View Post
I tie most, 99%, of my own flys. But I do buy on occasion. I just don't feel right pumping the guy in the local fly shop for info without purchasing a couple of 'local' patterns.
^^^^ what he said!

I like to buy from small shops when on the road. Interesting to see the differing styles; it helps when trying to brainstorm new patterns.

I also like to give the occasional fly away to someone on the water if it is helpful. I spoke with some folks from EL Salvador on the frying pan. They spoke zero english, and where using spinning gear with gigantic orange bobbers and some glaring chartreuse bass plug type of thing. I gave them a few flies and instructed them to keep their bobbers at a greater distance (also to release all the fish alive...)

I had a complete stranger give me a mysis shrimp once (along with some good pointers); it totally saved my day, and probably made it easier for him to watch me fishing
Old 02-12-2012, 07:31 PM

crazyfish13 is on a distinguished road

I love to tie an I tie 99% of mine it gives me something to do an I find it rewarding to go out an take a fish with what I have tied @ my desk. Now that 1% is for that time I go into a shop an see something that I have not seen an just have to have. I see it as a way of given back to the owner for the info they give me an for helping me out with my questions I have about a stream.

"Me got no house, me all time moving, light fire, make tent, sleep, all time go fish, how have house?