The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: Of the flies that you fish with, do you tie them or buy them?
I don't tie 65 19.52%
I'll tie a few here and there 57 17.12%
I buy them occasionally 101 30.33%
What? Spend money on flies? 110 33.03%
Voters: 333. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 09:14 PM

bennypapa is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Do you buy or tie?

Why not buy and tie. Sometimes I buy examples from friends to learn how to tie them
Old 04-17-2012, 12:09 PM

aquaticsanonymous is on a distinguished road

I tie some, and I buy some. I'm just a beginner and have been tying nymphs and streamers, but havent' tackled any dries yet.
Old 04-20-2012, 01:09 PM

twobuckchuck is on a distinguished road

I got into fly tying about 2 years after I took up fly fishing. I always thought it would be an expensive hobby, but people kept reassuring me that I could get into it for about $100. HUH!!! With my mania for having to have good (not just passable) equipment, I'm a lot closer to $1000! I'd hate to estimate how much I've spent for every fly I tie.

Of course, I should have known better. I didn't start fly fishing until I was in my late 40s, mostly because I always considered it a rich man's sport. But then folks kept telling me that I could also get started in that for about $100! Now that's funny!
Old 04-20-2012, 02:13 PM

popperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Amazing how close the pole is, I would of never figured the numbers that close.

I buy them occasionally (60) 31.91%

What? Spend money on flies? (62) 32.98%

Voters: 188. You have already voted on this poll

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !
Old 05-05-2012, 09:52 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Tie my own... 100%.

I believe my last purchased flies were a couple of Muddler Minnows from Pro-Am Fishing Shop in Kuhnsville, PA around 1992.
Old 06-03-2012, 12:30 AM

fly_or_die is on a distinguished road

I buy all my flies. I would love to start tying I just haven't take the leap yet!
Old 06-03-2012, 02:23 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

As much as I tie I still buy a few every now and then. I bought three really big Pike flies from the Great Lakes Fly Shop in Duluth when I was down there recently. I also bought $100 worth of fly tying materials when I was there. If you don't support your local (That's as local as I have) fly shops, you won't have them.
Old 06-03-2012, 09:07 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I dont tie because I cant. It would be as if you tied a pait brush to a cats tail and asked him to paint the house....I dont have the patience or abilty to do it well.

I really would like to learn. I can imagine if I started just with the basic nymph patterns, Hares ear, midges RS2 etc etc it would be a good spot to learn. I mentioned that to my wife last night and I got the stink eye.

guess til the kids are out of the house Im buying em

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 06-06-2012, 01:24 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by comeonavs View Post

I dont tie because I cant. It would be as if you tied a pait brush to a cats tail and asked him to paint the house....I dont have the patience or abilty to do it well.

I really would like to learn. I can imagine if I started just with the basic nymph patterns, Hares ear, midges RS2 etc etc it would be a good spot to learn. I mentioned that to my wife last night and I got the stink eye.

guess til the kids are out of the house Im buying em
You gotta sell it dude! Tell her how much money you two are going to save by tying your own flies. And by the time she finds out you were full of ****... you'll be too far down the road to turn back.
popperfly likes this.

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring
Old 06-06-2012, 02:46 PM

popperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to beholdpopperfly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via Skype™ to popperfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by stenacron View Post
You gotta sell it dude! Tell her how much money you two are going to save by tying your own flies. And by the time she finds out you were full of ****... you'll be too far down the road to turn back.
Always works for me .....now I have thousands invested in fly tying materials

Born to Fish...Forced to Work !