The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: Of the flies that you fish with, do you tie them or buy them?
I don't tie 61 20.13%
I'll tie a few here and there 51 16.83%
I buy them occasionally 91 30.03%
What? Spend money on flies? 100 33.00%
Voters: 303. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2012, 09:36 PM

tommyc_295 will become famous soon enoughtommyc_295 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to tommyc_295
Default Re: Do you buy or tie?

I buy them but I would like to learn to tie eventually.
Old 11-06-2012, 09:39 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

After an ill-fated fishing trip, in which the store bought nymphs and streamers were found to be made with zero lead wire in them, which meant that the money on them was wasted because they would not get to fishing depth
I will tie 90% of everything I fish with.

Old 11-06-2012, 11:08 PM

rasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the roughrasputinj is a jewel in the rough

I only tie 8-10 different flies, they tend to be the flies I use the most. Otherwise I buy another handful types of flies. Overtime I will tie better and hopefully get to 100% of tying my own flies.

My Guide
Taupo Turangi North Island New Zealand Fly fishing Guide
Old 11-08-2012, 10:28 AM

socorrofly is on a distinguished road

I enjoy trying to tie stuff that looks roughly like what the natives may see, and hope they ride right in the film. Have to admit I gotta have the time, patience and enough magnification to crank out anything under about an 18. If you have sensitive ears, you may prefer to leave the room.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:35 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

Realistically, I tie well over 99% of my flies. The less than 1% are ones that were given to me.
Old 11-12-2012, 05:50 PM

drydropper is on a distinguished road

Of all the flies I have they were either tied by me, or received from swaps, or given to me by some guys I fish with ("hey, you might want a couple of these" or "you might want to try this one"). The only flies I have bought out of necessity were some nymph patterns sold at wal mart. I have purchased a few along the way just for shucks.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:05 AM

brucerducer will become famous soon enoughbrucerducer will become famous soon enough

85% of everything I fish with, I tie myself.

I got nothing against store bought flies, except that the wets are never weighted.

One of the things I buy currently, are dries serving as Indicators.

I tie anything and everything that is Wet.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:54 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

ever since I started tying my own.. 99.7% of all my flies in my boxes are tied by myself.. I'll pick up a couple here and there at the local-ish shops to help support their business if anything
Old 02-07-2013, 07:54 AM

nick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of lightnick k is a glorious beacon of light

I used to buy flies, then I got a tying starter kit and was instantly hooked. The day I bought the kit was the last day I purchased a fly. I'd rather catch one fish on a fly of my own design than 2 fish on one I purchased from a store. Once you start, you cant go back.
Old 02-08-2013, 12:25 AM

mattneeds is on a distinguished road

I put down tie occasionally even though I barely do because I dont have my own equipment. Probably have tied less than 15 flies in my 5 years of fly fishing. I'm going to start tying my own here soon, so I'm positive you guys will see more of me regarding that.

---------- Post added at 01:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:22 AM ----------

I figure if I tie my own streamers and some nymphs I'll save some money. Plus Ill still get to go into the shops.