The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: Of the flies that you fish with, do you tie them or buy them?
I don't tie 60 20.00%
I'll tie a few here and there 50 16.67%
I buy them occasionally 91 30.33%
What? Spend money on flies? 99 33.00%
Voters: 300. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2009, 01:29 AM
SCflyguy is on a distinguished road
Default Do you buy or tie?

Of the flies that you fish with, what percentage do you tie yourself? Seems like fly fishing and fly tying go hand in hand.

I've been tying for about 10 yrs and haven't bought a fly since. Just wondered 'bout everybody else.
Old 08-01-2009, 02:04 AM

rdh2059 is on a distinguished road

I've been tying my own for 40ish years now. I started out by taking some feathers from one of my mom's prize feather pillows, "borrowing" some of her thread, whittling a clothes pin into a tying vice and some old bait hooks I found snagged at a local stream. Things have changed a LOT since then, but that same fascination and satisfaction with creating something to catch fish with, is still there...

Most fly fishers I know started out by buying their first few flies, then getting frustrated with how fast their precious investments get lost in trees and snags and broken off on fish. A cheap starter fly tying kit comes next. After that, it just seems to develop a mind of its own and it grows and grows...

Best of luck to you...
Rick
Old 08-02-2009, 09:06 PM

wild trout is on a distinguished road

I tie most flies. If I go to a new area and they have a differrent fly I'll buy it to support the locals.

TB
Old 08-04-2009, 06:39 PM

Lambster has a spectacular aura aboutLambster has a spectacular aura about
Default Flies

We do both! We'll tie 80% of our streamers and nymphs and 40 % on the dries and purchase through online company in Oregon...... hard to beat prices!
Old 08-05-2009, 06:17 AM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

100 % tie my own for 40+ years..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 08-05-2009, 10:44 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

It's hard to justify buying flies after the $$ invested in tying. I'm a new tyer so I'm still addicted to buying every new/better, material/tool that I see, and loving it. I'll have to tie for two lifetimes to get the cost of a fly below the store cost. The big reward comes with no wait to get the hot fly of the day. Plus a lot of rewarding time spent tying.
Old 09-26-2009, 06:47 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Do you buy or tie?

I'm not sure if I really save any money tying. I have a million flies I will most likely never use. If I see an fly interesting fly in a magazine I'll tie it. This summer I tied a shrimp and a squid pattern and I live in Minnesota. I have who knows how much money tied up in materials. On the bright side I never have to look for hard to find patterns.
Old 09-26-2009, 08:55 PM

Kerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud ofKerry Pitt has much to be proud of

Really the only time I buy flies anymore is if I am in a small fly shop and there are flies tied by the owner or a local tyer. More because I do not like to walk out of one of these little shops empty handed and because sometimes they have patterns not found anywhere else.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:54 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I tye most of what I fish with...I will buy a pattern or two from a local shop to support them and as a thank you for the information they provide on the local streams; and also if they have an interesting new pattern, great to have it in front of you when you're tying a copy.

Dan
mi_trouter likes this.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:54 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I noticed that many of these posts say they only buy some flies from local shops to support them. I think that is a great idea. If you don't support them they may go away. I don't have a shop within... well I don't know how far. Far though. I went to Montana to visit relatives a couple of years ago. My biggest expense was the $150.oo -$200.oo I dropped in every fly shop I saw. I really wish I had a shop someplace close.