The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: What would you say is the most gratifying piece of gear for fly fishing?
Rod – A fly rod to cast with power and accuracy. 32 50.79%
Reel – A fly reel to reel line in and out in smoothly. 6 9.52%
Line – A fly line that casts smoothly for you. 9 14.29%
Leader – A leader that allows good turn over and presentation 2 3.17%
Flies - A fly that best resembles what the fish are taking 14 22.22%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2011, 10:34 AM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about
Default re: The most Gratifying piece of gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
The ecologist in me says try and remove any one item out of your list and try, for all practical purposes (sure you can wrap the line around your fist or something and yes Lee Wulff caught atlantics without a rod, yada yada) to fly fish in the classic sense. Its a system. Take any one item out and the system grinds to a halt. I think most of us would like to have all the pieces in place when we hit the river. Although...there is this....ever forget your flies and try to fly fish?
heh heh,
Gary
You are quite right Gary, it is a system. As I mentioned, all of the items are an essential part of fly fishing. As you say "Take any one item out and the system grinds to a halt." is a true statement.

My question is, I'll try to reword it: Which piece of equipment is your most favorite piece that gives you the most pleasure? BTW, price or quality doesn't have to be a determining factor. I hope this helps made the question more understood. I'll edit the pole a bit to try to make it more clear.
Old 03-04-2011, 10:56 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Ah ha! Totally different ballgame. I'm betwixt a rock and hard place to choose between the rod and the fly.
Gary
Old 03-04-2011, 11:19 AM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt05254 View Post
Ah ha! Totally different ballgame. I'm betwixt a rock and hard place to choose between the rod and the fly.
Gary
Sometimes it's difficult to put on paper, what's on the mind, so others can understand the thought.
Old 03-04-2011, 11:38 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi dave5977,

You left out the one thing that is by far the most important, the Fly Fisher's ability. I will take the experience/knowledge of a Fly Fisher over any equipment.

Frank
Old 03-04-2011, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Frank,

I was just about to go back and edit my post to say that; provided I have not left my tackle at home my patience and skills at locating fish are the only way I have success. It doesn't matter what rod, reel, line, or how pretty my flies are. If I fail to find the fish I don't do too well.

Good one Frank,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 03-04-2011, 11:56 AM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

NO FAIR! Frank and Ard cheated! Coloring outside the lines strictly prohibited. Always follow directions. Actors are compensated. Professional driver on closed course. Don't try this at home, kids!
Jealously,
Gary
Old 03-05-2011, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi dave5977,

You left out the one thing that is by far the most important, the Fly Fisher's ability. I will take the experience/knowledge of a Fly Fisher over any equipment.

Frank
It seems my edit to this poll is still not getting my point accoss. It's mainly due to the initial question in the title. I don't know how to edit it. the word "important" in the question should be "gratifying" or "satisfying".
My idea is to ask about what one piece of gear gives you the most pleasure to fish with. Some of the comments are inline with what I had in mind.
I agree that knowledge is important to success that certainly can lead to gratification in the sport. But that comes with experience and learning. Something that can take years to achieve.
I suppose the opposite question would be: What one piece of gear give you the more fustration than any of the others?
I consider myself a 25 year novice. Some people can be an expert in less than a couple years.
Anyway, if I, or someone, could change "important" to something like "gratifying" that would be great.
Old 03-05-2011, 02:33 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

The line, and I see a few others appear to agree.

To over state my reasoning .... a rod's, a rod, and just that ... a 'wippy lever' to toss the line. What kind of rod (or should that be 'rod action?') is a mater of personal taste. And the depth of your wallet.

The reel? A place to store the line that you don't have in the air. As long it's appropriately sized for the fish being targeted, is a $800.00 'something' really much better than a $50.00 Plug. Medalist?

The leader? You have to have 'something' to connect the line to the 'bait,' what ever that may be. And it could just be a straight length of mono ..... (Well, yes it should be at least a three section drop down from butt to tippet. But I know guys who just use a butt section and tippet.)

Now the line, ah yes .. THE line. Ever counted how many types/kinds/finishes/formations/what-ever's are available for you to connect the reel/rod and fly. Hell, I'm not even going to mention how many "flavors" spey rod lines are available. Mind boggling. But when you get 'the match,' that's when the fun begins.

Mis-matched rod/line .... Total pain in the A$$.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Old 03-05-2011, 03:29 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Dave5977 said: "Anyway, if I, or someone, could change "important" to something like "gratifying" that would be great."

Done!

Frank
Old 03-05-2011, 03:52 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The most Gratifying piece of gear

Wrong answer Frank.

The changing of the one word completely alters the question.

Now I'd have to say a properly lined rod. A thing of joy to cast if you're a 2-hander nut case like me.