The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: What would you say is the most gratifying piece of gear for fly fishing?
Rod – A fly rod to cast with power and accuracy. 32 50.00%
Reel – A fly reel to reel line in and out in smoothly. 6 9.38%
Line – A fly line that casts smoothly for you. 9 14.06%
Leader – A leader that allows good turn over and presentation 3 4.69%
Flies - A fly that best resembles what the fish are taking 14 21.88%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 04:51 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: The most Gratifying piece of gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Wrong answer Frank.

The changing of the one word completely alters the question
Sorry, that is what he wanted.

Frank
Old 03-05-2011, 06:12 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post

Frank

How about a second 'pole?' A good question, but a very different question.

Just thoughts, just thoughts.

fae
Old 03-05-2011, 08:02 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: The most Gratifying piece of gear

I said leader when the ? was "which is the most important".....
Now that the ? has changed, my answer would not be the same.
At this point I think I'll wait until Meridith asks for the "final answer" before I respond again
Old 03-05-2011, 08:49 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

What a difference a word can make. Originally I was going to vote for line, as in my fishing career I have dealt with bad/unsatisfactory line many times and it can make for a very frustrating day, regardless of the quality of the rest of my gear.

But with the clarification, I have to vote rod. I love my St. Croix Imperial 8' 6" 4 wt rod. I've had two different reels on it and 3 different lines, and while these things make a difference, it always casts well enough to suit me. I don't know how to describe it, but with this rod in my hand, I get a sense of 'rightness' that I don't find in my other rods. And my other rods are good rods, I like them all, but they don't become a part of my hand the way my 4 wt does.

The rod loads and unloads with a kind of lithe grace, making the casting stroke seem effortless. When the time comes to present the fly, I focus on where I want the fly and the rod seems to understand, sending the fly through my mind's eye to the target. I don't know how else to say it, but just to say that when the fishing isn't so good, I find pleasure casting with this rod.

It makes me feel like a good flyfisherman.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark

Last edited by rangerrich99; 03-05-2011 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:39 PM

ssmith will become famous soon enough

Personally, I picked the line as the line is what makes everything happen. I know that without any one of the afore mentioned pieces of equipment nothing really works, but the line is more unique to the equasion. When I switched from a cheap bass pro line, $10 was a deal for a starter line, to an SA GPX it changed everything in my cast, presentation and control on the water. I have since switched to rio gold for my new sage. For ****'s and giggles I put that old BP line on my old reel and tried it in the sage and while it cast well it was nothing like the gold or gpx on that rod.

'If our father had had his say, nobody who did not know how to catch a fish would be allowed to disgrace a fish by catching him.'
Old 03-06-2011, 07:13 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rangerrich99 View Post
What a difference a word can make.

The rod loads and unloads with a kind of lithe grace, making the casting stroke seem effortless. When the time comes to present the fly, I focus on where I want the fly and the rod seems to understand, sending the fly through my mind's eye to the target. I don't know how else to say it, but just to say that when the fishing isn't so good, I find pleasure casting with this rod.

It makes me feel like a good flyfisherman.
A beautifully crafted description of Man and Equipment. The match, the balance, the ... the 'It just all comes together.'

For me that would be my 7139-4 ACR two hander with a 520 grain AFS head. The main issue with this combo is the far bank on the upper Rogue may be too close.
Old 03-06-2011, 08:06 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

As much as I love my rods and reels... without the right fly I'm just taking them for a walk.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 03-06-2011, 11:31 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

When you look at it from the 'Gratifying' angle, I still have to say rod, but refine my answer to spey rod. Spey casting is so fun and 'Gratifying' I'm sure I'd go do it even if I knew I was not going to catch a fish.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:41 PM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post

Frank
Sorry for the confusion. I want to thank all of you for being flexible with the question edit. Early in the post I edited the poll, because some of the replies were more about "technical" side. I was trying to ask about the "emotional" side of fly fishing.
I realized the word "important" was the problem, but the main question could not be edited. I edited the post just below the poll, hoping to get the right jest to the question.
We like to talk about skills, techniques and how-to’s, so I thought it would be fun to talk about how we feel about the sport in the from of this poll.
What one thing in the statement; “The worst day fishing is better than the best day working", important to you? There are a countless number of things that can answer the question. I just chose a difficult way to ask it.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:50 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

When I think "gratifying piece of gear", I have to go with waders that don't leak. When its 20 degrees out and you just pushed through 15' of slush to get to open water, you have so many layers on that the honey smooth rod now feels like a telephone pole, pretty little beads of ice form all over your line and leader and your fly freezes solid in the time it took you to light a cigarette, I don't know about you guys but its a pretty gratifying feeling when I get to the truck and my feet and legs are dry!