The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: What would you say is the most gratifying piece of gear for fly fishing?
Rod A fly rod to cast with power and accuracy. 32 50.00%
Reel A fly reel to reel line in and out in smoothly. 6 9.38%
Line A fly line that casts smoothly for you. 9 14.06%
Leader A leader that allows good turn over and presentation 3 4.69%
Flies - A fly that best resembles what the fish are taking 14 21.88%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2011, 01:09 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The most Gratifying piece of gear

Ohhhh, I like Mr bash's thinking on this one! Knowing that it's not on the list I'll just add "wet feet are for weddings".

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 03-09-2011, 07:58 PM

h dot verseman is on a distinguished road

for me, there are two answers, and both of them arent listed in your initial 5 choices.

#1 tippet. if you buy bargain tippet you are going to lose fish, point blank period. it is the most essential piece of equipment as it is what is directly responsible for connecting your fly.

#2 by a slight margin. hook- if you buy cheap hooks, they can be brittle and snap, they could dull easier, they can deteriorate quickly.
Old 03-09-2011, 11:42 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

I think the fly is the most important part... wrong fly = no fish
Old 03-10-2011, 12:09 AM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

So far, this poll has some interesting votes. Most likely because of the wording of the question on my part. The poll is skewed between "Most Important" and "Most Gratifying" piece of gear.

Here is the list of choices:
Most votes >>> Flies - Rod - Line - Reel - Leader <<< Least votes.

Then there are write in votes... Any of these could be included in the gratifying list. "Abilty" has secondary votes.

>>> Ability Glasses Waders -Tippet - Hook <<<

Oh yeah, "Glasses", It's very gratifying to see the knot I'm tying or the wind knot I'm trying to untie.

The Hook, h dot verseman suggested, is definitely important for size and quality. However, tying your own fly with a good hook that catches fish must be extremely gratifying. Perhaps this is the reason it is first on the most voted for list.

I find it interesting that the littlest and least expensive piece of gear, the imitation fly, is the whole reason for the rest of the gear. The right fly with a good hook is at the top of the list with the most votes and the last mentioned. Possibly the most important and the most gratifying piece of gear. Is it the Alpha and Omega in fly fishing????
Old 03-26-2011, 02:16 AM

951tightline is on a distinguished road

For me it has to be my reel. I love having a nice drag. But I mean all of those are important to me!!!!!

Tight Lines
Scott
Old 03-26-2011, 07:15 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

I agree with you Scott. I like anything that is finely machined and well designed. A fine reel or a fine shotgun, you can't beat them. So in response to the new Question, the reel is the most gratifying to me.

Frank
Old 02-07-2012, 02:49 PM

pinkygonzales is on a distinguished road

Gotta go with my 7/8N Abel reel. There is just absolutely nothing like the feel of a steelhead putting that thing to the test. It's quite a piece of engineering.