The most Gratifying piece of gear

What would you say is the most gratifying piece of gear for fly fishing?

• Rod – A fly rod to cast with power and accuracy.

Votes: 36 52.9%
  • Reel – A fly reel to reel line in and out in smoothly.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • Line – A fly line that casts smoothly for you.

Votes: 9 13.2%
  • Leader – A leader that allows good turn over and presentation

Votes: 3 4.4%
  • Flies - A fly that best resembles what the fish are taking

Votes: 14 20.6%

• Total voters

dave5977

Reaction score
What do you say is the most important piece of gear for fly fishing?

Considering that each one of these items are an essential part of fly fishing. Which one of these 5 items gives you the most enjoyment?

Fill in the blank: I like my ______ because it gives me the most satisfaction and/or performance.

Frankly, I can’t decide. But, I'm leaning toward the reel...

Rod – A fly rod you can cast with power and accuracy or finesse.
Reel – A fly reel that handles the line and drag smoothly.
Line – A fly line that casts smoothly for you.
Leader – A leader that allows good turn over and presentation
Fly - A fly pattern that you have the most success with.

Last edited:

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Reel;

I will go with 'the reel' because once you pass the 13" trout zone having a reel that will help to quickly land big game fish makes the whole thing better. I use simple spring & pawl reels for light fish and they handle the fish just swell but when you start talking double digit weight a solid smooth drag system is the order of the day.

Ard

Davo

Reaction score
For me it is the rod. Once connected to the fish have a rod that can stand up to the fight and yet let you feel every twitch of the fish from head to tail. It's all about the feel and being connected to the action.

gt05254

Reaction score
The ecologist in me says try and remove any one item out of your list and try, for all practical purposes (sure you can wrap the line around your fist or something and yes Lee Wulff caught atlantics without a rod, yada yada) to fly fish in the classic sense. Its a system. Take any one item out and the system grinds to a halt. I think most of us would like to have all the pieces in place when we hit the river. Although...there is this....ever forget your flies and try to fly fish?
heh heh,
Gary

ausablebrown

Reaction score
I think most of us would like to have all the pieces in place when we hit the river. Although...there is this....ever forget your flies and try to fly fish?
heh heh,
Gary
That's when you go upstream to the "bait-fishin" section and trap some grasshoppers in a bottle.

My brother forgot his boots once; shoved his neoprene footies in his tennis shoes and dove in...

mikel

Reaction score
The ecologist in me says try and remove any one item out of your list and try, for all practical purposes (sure you can wrap the line around your fist or something and yes Lee Wulff caught atlantics without a rod, yada yada) to fly fish in the classic sense. Its a system. Take any one item out and the system grinds to a halt. I think most of us would like to have all the pieces in place when we hit the river. Although...there is this....ever forget your flies and try to fly fish?
heh heh,
Gary
In agreement with the above. Sorry, but I don't really understand the question...I DO think that your rod and line need to be a nice match for your stroke or you won't enjoy the experience as much...-Mike

smalliesrule

Reaction score
It's my glasses...most definitely my glasses...if I forget them I am going back for them. After that I would say my reel. I've left it at the house before, and you just can't do much with a rod and flies but no reel. I would say line, but it's on the reel, so if you have one you have the other. A good line is truly a blessing. Recently I broke a rod and when I sent it back for warranty repair, I got a warranty replacement instead. I had Cortland 444 on my reel one size over, and when I got the new rod I could barely throw the length of the rod. I thought I had gotten a piece of junk for replacement until I relined with Rio Gold in the proper weight and presto chango I had the best casting rod I've ever owned!

dave5977

Reaction score
heh heh,
Gary
You are quite right Gary, it is a system. As I mentioned, all of the items are an essential part of fly fishing. As you say "Take any one item out and the system grinds to a halt." is a true statement.

My question is, I'll try to reword it: Which piece of equipment is your most favorite piece that gives you the most pleasure? BTW, price or quality doesn't have to be a determining factor. I hope this helps made the question more understood. I'll edit the pole a bit to try to make it more clear.

gt05254

Reaction score
Ah ha! Totally different ballgame. I'm betwixt a rock and hard place to choose between the rod and the fly.
Gary

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi dave5977,

You left out the one thing that is by far the most important, the Fly Fisher's ability. I will take the experience/knowledge of a Fly Fisher over any equipment.

Frank

Reactions: Ard

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Frank,

I was just about to go back and edit my post to say that; provided I have not left my tackle at home my patience and skills at locating fish are the only way I have success. It doesn't matter what rod, reel, line, or how pretty my flies are. If I fail to find the fish I don't do too well.

Good one Frank,

Ard

gt05254

Reaction score
NO FAIR! Frank and Ard cheated! Coloring outside the lines strictly prohibited. Always follow directions. Actors are compensated. Professional driver on closed course. Don't try this at home, kids!
Jealously,
Gary

dave5977

Reaction score
Hi dave5977,

You left out the one thing that is by far the most important, the Fly Fisher's ability. I will take the experience/knowledge of a Fly Fisher over any equipment.

Frank
It seems my edit to this poll is still not getting my point accoss. It's mainly due to the initial question in the title. I don't know how to edit it. the word "important" in the question should be "gratifying" or "satisfying".
My idea is to ask about what one piece of gear gives you the most pleasure to fish with. Some of the comments are inline with what I had in mind.
I agree that knowledge is important to success that certainly can lead to gratification in the sport. But that comes with experience and learning. Something that can take years to achieve.
I suppose the opposite question would be: What one piece of gear give you the more fustration than any of the others?
I consider myself a 25 year novice. Some people can be an expert in less than a couple years.
Anyway, if I, or someone, could change "important" to something like "gratifying" that would be great. :icon_bigg

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
The line, and I see a few others appear to agree.

To over state my reasoning .... a rod's, a rod, and just that ... a 'wippy lever' to toss the line. What kind of rod (or should that be 'rod action?') is a mater of personal taste. And the depth of your wallet.

The reel? A place to store the line that you don't have in the air. As long it's appropriately sized for the fish being targeted, is a $800.00 'something' really much better than a $50.00 Plug. Medalist?

The leader? You have to have 'something' to connect the line to the 'bait,' what ever that may be. And it could just be a straight length of mono ..... (Well, yes it should be at least a three section drop down from butt to tippet. But I know guys who just use a butt section and tippet.)

Now the line, ah yes .. THE line. Ever counted how many types/kinds/finishes/formations/what-ever's are available for you to connect the reel/rod and fly. Hell, I'm not even going to mention how many "flavors" spey rod lines are available. Mind boggling. But when you get 'the match,' that's when the fun begins.

Mis-matched rod/line .... :weight_li:sweatingb Total pain in the A$$.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Dave5977 said: "Anyway, if I, or someone, could change "important" to something like "gratifying" that would be great."

Done!

Frank