The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2009, 11:55 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: what's better, Size or numbers?

I would rather catch one fish that's big. Anyone can find a spot full of little ones. Go get a big one on a regular basis is way more fun.
Old 11-24-2009, 02:35 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

In the early 70's when I was starting out, my mentor took me on 1/2 hour drive to his "favorite fishing spot". When we started to rig up, he told me all I would need is the tip section off my rod. He had me put my reel in my pocket. We walked down a trail to a piece of water almost too small to call a creek. We spent several hours making delicate casts to 4 inch+ fish. Tough spooky fishing with sz30 dries. Personally, I love very smart large (even huge) trout, but this one day put it all in perspective for me.
I tell clients that early on I couldn't stand and watch someone fish, now, I do it for a living. Glad everybody weighed in on this thread, I was curious how it would go.

Bigfly
Old 11-26-2009, 04:47 PM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

I can and do go fishing often with the intent to just have a fun day in nature and it dosent bother me one ounce if I catch a little fish, big fish, one fish, two fish, red fish, or bluefish. Catching fish is the point of fishing at tiems though and on those days I would reather figure out one big fish, now if I catch a bunch of smaller fish thats cool also, but the big ones you really "usally" have to work for and use your brain as well as your rod.
Bear
Old 12-04-2009, 09:46 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

arffishin, so true.. I sometimes just work on my cast while looking at the clouds, birds, etc. More than once i've walked a beat with two rods, and never made a cast. The things we learn are not always in the water.

Bigfly
Old 12-05-2009, 02:15 AM

arfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud ofarfishinbear has much to be proud of

'AMEN Brother.
Old 12-05-2009, 02:24 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Still here Bear?Winter's here....time to hibernate now
Old 01-16-2010, 09:49 AM

tonysav is on a distinguished road

size doesn't matter just have fun.
Old 01-16-2010, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
Still here Bear?Winter's here....time to hibernate now
LOL I'll have time to hibernate when I die, right now,,,,,,,,, I GOT FISH TO CATCH
Old 01-17-2010, 02:53 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by arfishinbear View Post
LOL I'll have time to hibernate when I die, right now,,,,,,,,, I GOT FISH TO CATCH
To feed your bear cubs?
Old 01-18-2010, 01:52 PM

ksigtuck will become famous soon enoughksigtuck will become famous soon enough

I am happy with any size trout that I catch. WHile it is always fun to catch a monster, some of my most memorable trips only included very small trout. For me it is more about the time on the water and the company I have with me.
Just my .02
Tuck