The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2010, 09:13 PM

Tree Catcher has a spectacular aura aboutTree Catcher has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: what's better, Size or numbers?

In Southern California, for me most of the time I am happy to get a 10 inch natural trout. Heck some day's I am just glad to get to a stream to try and charge up the batteries from the past work week. But for me mainly I will agree with a few others, in that I am just as happy to go for a hike and drop a line here and there. If I get a nice one, that being anything over 12 inches then I am ecstatic. Last weekend I got about a 10 inch trout... took three of em to equal that length but I enjoyed myself.

Sean
Old 01-23-2010, 02:45 AM

simmons_j_m is on a distinguished road

Between the two choices in the OP I'll take the numbers over the size... I like the action of fishing. Landing a 3# trout never gets boring either... but I like consitant action, to answer the question... either way a day on the river is better than any day in the office.
Old 01-23-2010, 08:45 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Well I would say numbers, and the reason why I say that is because that means you are continually figuring out what is catching them. Eventually there will be some big ones in those numbers.
Old 06-09-2010, 12:39 PM

franzenangler will become famous soon enoughfranzenangler will become famous soon enough

I love catchin loads, but it's always nice to have a bigun every once in a while. Some days I don't even care if I catch a fish, It's just about bein outdoors and gettin away from everything.
Old 06-09-2010, 05:13 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes...

Kelly.
milt spawn likes this.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:15 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

As a fly tier for 90% of my "fishing" time, I'm always making changes to old patterns or working on completely new ones. I'm also a software architect and used to the fact that more test cases are better to weed out opportunities for improvement. SO, I have to say numbers serve my direction better.

That being said, if I'm working on some three inch long "junk" for tossing at early dawn or twilight hog browns, I've got to admit I want to feel something big slam my rig when testing it.

I also have to admit that the first couple chub that take and drown my dry fly are kinda cute...after the upteenth drowning by chubs, its not so cute anymore and I'm seriously looking for something bigger to take my offering.
Old 01-04-2011, 02:20 PM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

I like being outdoors as much as the next guy. So I would have to say that numbers of fish is what I like most. I enjoy the fight even if that means the fish gets off the hook while in the fight. I am looking forward to getting my son out there to fly fish. He seems to get bored with fishing with a bobber or bottom fishing with a spincaster setup. It think he will like the constant action if fly fishing just as Simmons J M suggests.
Old 01-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

If I had a real choice between catching 1 large Trout (Anything 15"<) and catching a mess of 8"-12" possibly up to 14" I'd rather catch 1 large. However after a day or two in a row depending on how many days I have to fish of catching nothing I'd start fishing for the average fish. Then after a good day of catching average fish if I still had more time to fish I would likely go back to targeting the big'uns.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:57 PM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough

Doesn't matter any fish is better than a no fish. But it will be the numbers
Old 04-02-2012, 08:22 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Its different every time I go out, big fish no fish small fish lotta fish. Doesn't matter what the primary objective, did I come home knowing the day wasn't wasted.

Dave