The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Forum Polls (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/forum-polls/)
-   -   what's better, Size or numbers? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/forum-polls/11563-whats-better-size-numbers.html)

Bigfly 10-26-2009 03:48 PM

what's better, Size or numbers?

Is it better to fish all day and catch one thats really big, or get a tired arm catching lil fellers?

sandfly 10-26-2009 03:58 PM

Re: what's better, Size or numbers?

just being out and about in nature, who cares how many or how big, just enjoy life..

Jackster 10-26-2009 06:41 PM

Every fish is a blessing. If the day holds many small or a few big it's a good day. If the day holds good company or fine views it too is a good day.
I guess that's why I wasn't made for golf. I wouldn't let a bad game or poor shot ruin the day!
Really though... it's all good even the days you just have to laugh about because it sucked so much! :p

Hardyreels 10-26-2009 08:56 PM

Big,

Everyone who fishes likes to catch fish. Most fly-fishermen hold a deep fascination with big fish. Generally when I leave to fish for the day I have no way to know what or if any fish I may catch. I just like being out on the rivers or creeks, knowing that I have done what I trained myself to do thoroughly is the best I can hope for as far as the fishing goes. I have always said; (and you can quote me on this) They call it fishing not catching.

With that in mind I'll head to the Kenai tomorrow,

Ard

mcnerney 10-26-2009 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyreels (Post 70696)
Big,

Everyone who fishes likes to catch fish. Most fly-fishermen hold a deep fascination with big fish. Generally when I leave to fish for the day I have no way to know what or if any fish I may catch. I just like being out on the rivers or creeks, knowing that I have done what I trained myself to do thoroughly is the best I can hope for as far as the fishing goes. I have always said; (and you can quote me on this) They call it fishing not catching.

With that in mind I'll head to the Kenai tomorrow,

Ard

Ard: Well said, that is exactly my thoughts when I go fishing. Sure I like to catch big fish, but if I don't hook into anything it doesn't take away from the experience of being on the water.

Larry

rickf 10-27-2009 12:29 AM

Small fish for this guy!
I release everything anyway, so the more fish I catch, the more fun I have.
Everything is relative so I downsize my tackle and have just as much fun with little fish as many have with big ones.
I catch a lot of beautiful sunfish in a local clean lake with my 1 weight. Many troll all day with hopes of catching a big bass..... but they usually don't catch anything! LOL Some drift live minnows under a bobber, while others bounce live worms on the bottom. Nobody catches anything........ they all complain about the lack of fish!!
I usually catch near 100 gills with my 1 weight. I have a ball!!
I love to tie my own flies and only fish with the ones I make.
Some have said to me "you better hope that you don't get a big carp with that tiny rod because you'll never land him"
It's the fun that I'm after, not the fish for food.
It doesn't get any better than that.

MoscaPescador 10-27-2009 12:44 AM

I go in phases throughout the year. Sometimes I want to catch a lot of fish regardless of size. Sometimes I just want to catch one big fish.

What's better? It really depends on which fix that I need. If I want the best of both worlds, I'll go to some Margaritaville and get hooked up with a lot of big fish.

MP

Kerry Pitt 10-27-2009 10:14 AM

It only matters when my fishing partner Ray, starts counting his out loud!:doh:

axle27 10-27-2009 11:18 AM

I'm just happy when I catch a fish....I'm stupid that way sometimes...most of the time....

flyfisher117 11-10-2009 10:26 PM

im just happy to catch something...:o