The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: On average how many flies do you lose while fishing your favorite trout stream/river?
None 11 5.67%
1 33 17.01%
2 47 24.23%
3 49 25.26%
4 23 11.86%
5 10 5.15%
6 9 4.64%
7 2 1.03%
8 1 0.52%
9 0 0%
10 3 1.55%
Dang it!!! I might as well go home now!!! 6 3.09%
Voters: 194. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2008, 02:10 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: How Many Flies Do You Lose In A Outing?

On a good day 2 or less, but on a bad day sometimes 6 or more. The good news is the good days outnumber the bad days, but every now and then we all have those day which we would just rather not talk about.
Jim
Old 05-28-2008, 06:47 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I used to average quite a few more when steelhead fishing; my average went down when I switched over to mostly indicator fishing.

Dan
Old 12-12-2008, 09:29 AM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

This kinda depends on where I go. If there is low over brush, i might have to retie a few times due to the snagging on the trees. but in open water, i'll use the same flies all day long as long as the material holds up on it.

John
Old 12-19-2008, 07:41 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I loose none. Even in the event that I come home with less than I had when I left, I know exactly what happened to the missing flies.

Unless they are torn apart by fish or broken off on a big one I seldom loose any. I stay away from using so much weight that it could get me snagged.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:47 PM

MikeG will become famous soon enough

I hate to say this, but I voted none because I do not fish for trout.
Old 12-23-2008, 08:40 PM

Lambster has a spectacular aura aboutLambster has a spectacular aura about

We streamer fish alot but don't loose to many pending if were after Monster Browns in the timbers along the banks! Dry flies we don't loose very many unless the Trout mess the flie up........ Nymphs go hand in hand depending on how deep were fishin' In a years time I'd say we loose a dozen Mr.Copper streamers and a couple of nymphs...... Now mountain fishin' is a differn't story.............. alot of tight cover then we loose alot of Drys! Dang tree's love the drys!
GeorgiaFlyGuide
Old 12-24-2008, 08:09 AM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

If I don't lose a few flies during the day. It feels liek I haven't fished enough.

John
Old 02-08-2009, 12:27 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

John

I'm with you on that. I always seem to loose a few flies. Nothing like I did when I fished for salmon in Alaska though. While fishing the Kenai River and the Parks Hwy streams I was always dredging the bottom and snagging the bottom was routine, but that's where the fish were located, so if you weren't on the bottom dredging you weren't catching salmon. I remember one time my son and I and two guys from work were fishing for sockeye salmon. Prior to the trip I tied up a whole tupper ware container of dyed bucktail streamers. We hit the run at the peak and each of us caught fish until we couldn't hold up our arms. Boy was that a great day of fishing! We ran through that entire stash of streamers, so after dinner in the motor home the four of us sat there and tied streamers for the next day, and again the fishing was a repeat of the day before.

Larry
Old 07-17-2009, 09:37 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

i had a really bad day earlier this year the river was high so i couldnt wade out as far as i liked to and i lost about 12....
Old 03-26-2011, 01:39 AM

951tightline is on a distinguished road

It all depends on where I'm fishing. Most of the creeks I fish are super bushy and I don't always wear waders so I probably lose 4 or 5. But when I do have my waders I rarely lose flies.

Tight Lines!
Scott