The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: What do you consider as a "caught" fish?
Only a fish in hand counts. 151 84.83%
One that fights long and hard, even if he eventually slips the hook. 18 10.11%
If there is a solid hookup, even if it slips the hook a few seconds later. 9 5.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2011, 08:13 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you consider a "caught" fish?

Being less than fortunate in the art of rainbow and brown trout fishing, catching, hooking or anything to do with those two species. I have become a brookie man solely to justify my fly tying addiction.

With brookies, if someone asks how the fishing was, the answer is normally hooked and landed. Hooked 7 landed 3 and landed means I removed the hook.

The aforementioned short story was not intended to degrade, harass or profile the brook trout for its apparent attraction to my flies.

Dave
Old 04-04-2011, 08:27 PM

gadfly_nj is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by watson View Post
Agree, that's pretty much how I feel about it.
Often times I would rather if it did get off at my feet (The little guys anyhow), just so I can get right back at it.

It is defiantly something I pondered last fall when I brought in a pig of a rainbow. My partner had it in the net not only once, but twice before he spit the hook and made for the depths. Of course my buddy was saying "consider it caught" but I on the other hand disagree.
Just being the thing was big (being modest) somewhere over 26+ inches and FAT (Hence flopping out of the boat net twice) , but the truth is we will never know just how big!
That's about as close to being caught as I could get without actually catching, but how I would have loved to feel the girth of that thing in my hands! (sigh)
Sounds like its time for a new fishing buddy!

I hope he at least bought the first round.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:38 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

It depends on your goal and how it gets off. If your tippet breaks right before you grab them maybe it's not a catch, but if you give slack and they slip the hook, it's better for everyone involved.

Others might not count it as a catch, but who cares what they think anyways? It's about being out there doing the fishing you want.
Old 04-04-2011, 11:17 PM

watson has a spectacular aura aboutwatson has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadfly_nj View Post
Sounds like its time for a new fishing buddy!

I hope he at least bought the first round.
It just gives me an excuse to heckle him for years to come.

Also a good reason to get back to the river, to get him some oar time!

He's still green, but a natural.
Another year at this rate and he should be shooting par.
Old 04-05-2011, 12:55 AM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
If you don't get to choose whether or not you are gonna eat it, then it wasn't caught.

I seldom keep any fish I catch, but that is MY choice, not the fault of a poorly set hook or a loose line at the net.
Well said.
Old 04-07-2011, 07:21 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Like William said, it depends on intent. For instance in most Catch and release tournaments for large fish, when the leader touches the tip top or the mate or guide grabs it, that fish is considered "caught." They generally award a token point for retrieved flies just so everyone doesn't cut the leader at the first opportunity just to save time.

For me, an 8-15 lb. dolphin, for instance, isn't considered caught till it's in the cooler - unless I already have one in there, then standard tournament rules apply.

Cheers,
JIm
Old 04-07-2011, 08:58 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Close only counts in Horse Shoes, Hand Grenades, and Nuclear Warfare.
Old 04-08-2011, 05:09 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

If it was hooked, I consider it caught. Brought to hand or netted is different. I may have caught 25 fish but only netted or brought to hand 17 the last time I went.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:11 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

An interesting question. If someone asked if I had any luck my response is I hooked up with blank number of fish but only landed blank number of fish. I count a caught fish as one I released. So if I had 5 hook ups and landed 3 that tells the story of the day. Sometimes I might say I had 5 takes and landed 3.

Frank
Old 04-08-2011, 10:49 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Most often I try not to remove fish from the water and only handle them if necessary.
Only touching, and hopefully retrieving my fly from a solidly hooked fish counts as landed to me.