The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: What do you consider as a "caught" fish?
Only a fish in hand counts. 151 84.83%
One that fights long and hard, even if he eventually slips the hook. 18 10.11%
If there is a solid hookup, even if it slips the hook a few seconds later. 9 5.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2011, 07:14 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you consider a "caught" fish?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Close only counts in Horse Shoes, Hand Grenades, and Nuclear Warfare.
And slow dancin'! milt.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:59 PM

frdfandc is on a distinguished road

Gotta be in the net/hand with actual removing of the hook.
Old 04-12-2011, 08:18 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikel View Post
If I get my leader near the rod tip, it's a caught fish...after that I'm just going to release it anyway. Feed em a little slack and (hopefully) off they go. No stinky hands, no hurting the fish by handling them or taking them out of the water. Sometimes I want a picture, so out comes the net...

-Mike
+1 here with Mike. The release has occurred due to my actions, not the fishes.

fae
Old 04-12-2011, 08:27 AM

Davec921 has a spectacular aura aboutDavec921 has a spectacular aura aboutDavec921 has a spectacular aura about

I ran in to this question sunday night while fishing.
I would say to hand or up to me an then released by my hand.
Weather that be from me just grabbing the fly an undoing it or grabbing the fish an undoing the hook. Either way it would be release by my hand.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:48 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by frdfandc View Post
Gotta be in the net/hand with actual removing of the hook.
I had one happen a bunch of years ago om the North shore of Lake Superior. I had a really big Kamloops strain Rainbow on. Got it all the way to shore. My buddy Dave got it in the net, up out of the water, and then slipped on the ice on the rocks. His feet went up shoulder high and the first part of him to hit the ground was about his shoulders. He had the sense left when he impacted to grab the fish by the tail as it was headed back into the lake. It jerked his hand two or three good times and left nothing but a V in the water as it disapeared. It unhooked itself in the net, even leaving me a bonus lure from having broke some guy off, probably trolling earlier. It was the biggest Looper I have ever hooked into of course, (no photo or tape measurement exists to prove it wasn't) and my buddy felt like he had committed a crime. I generally don't get upset loosing big fish, and I didn't with this one eihter. My friend took it way harder than I did. In summary, I hooked it, fought it to the net, had it up out of the water and it uh....was unhooked. The only thing I didn't get was a photo. If I was going to count a fish as caught I didn't intentionally let go, that would be it.
Old 04-15-2011, 01:39 AM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Some fish area such warriors that landing to net or hand and removing the hook isn't really an option unless you want a dead or dying fish and for these I go by the rule that a leadered fish is caught. I then use a hookout device while the fish is in the water to effect the release. Other than this I often use the same technique once the water warms for trout and other sensative fish to hasten thier departure once I have them in. A leadered fish is caught in most cases.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 05-24-2011, 04:19 PM

rrarods is on a distinguished road

I like to say I hooked into a few.. Or I hooked one. Landed or caught means i touched it or got it to the point i let it go before touching.
Like last night.. I hooked a few but didn't get any of them to shore.

Custom Rods You Can Afford to Fish
www.rollingriveranglers.com
Old 05-24-2011, 04:47 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

The first choice for the folks I fish with... the last two choices for me.

Kidding aside... does anyone else fish with people who catch all of their fish just as soon as they round the bend and are out of view?
Old 05-24-2011, 06:31 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
The first choice for the folks I fish with... the last two choices for me.

Kidding aside... does anyone else fish with people who catch all of their fish just as soon as they round the bend and are out of view?
I do! I have a saltwater buddy who always says the same thing. "Bro, you should have stayed a little longer! As soon as you left..." too dark for a pic though...
Old 06-03-2011, 03:09 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough

I consider a fish "caught" when you have the fish secured...holding it, in the boat, in the net, or on a stringer.

Cheers,

Robert