The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: What do you consider as a "caught" fish?
Only a fish in hand counts. 153 84.53%
One that fights long and hard, even if he eventually slips the hook. 19 10.50%
If there is a solid hookup, even if it slips the hook a few seconds later. 9 4.97%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 181. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2012, 09:04 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future
Default Re: What do you consider a "caught" fish?

Figured revive an old thread. For me if I get to enjoy fighting the fish for more than a few minutes and actually bring it to me I consider it caught. If people say how many did you catch I only tell them the net/hand/slack at your feet release.

General stmt like yesterday would be caught a total of 20 but landed 10 and had 10 misses on top of that. I also fish 100% barbless so the long distance release is real common on smaller rainbows who like to put on a arial display.

Since I C&R 100% of the time I only really care to net big ones for the obligatory measurement / photo. Other than that it is all about me and 100% peace and quiet.

***Edit***
The more I think about the more I put the LDR in a unique category. If I go spend the day and catch 7 and they are all non voluntary LDR I would be frustrated.But a day I net/hand release a good amount of fish the less I mind the LDR.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson

Last edited by comeonavs; 05-20-2012 at 09:25 PM.
Old 05-20-2012, 09:18 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

None of the above- leader must be touched.

If you've gotten that far and are in the process of grabbing it to get your fly out when it gets free, that's a caught fish. Given that your hands won't have removed any of the fish's protective slime, you're doing it a favor.

When possible, on dinks I try to grab the fly and turn it upside down so the fish falls off into the water.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 06-09-2012, 08:08 AM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post

If you've gotten that far and are in the process of grabbing it to get your fly out when it gets free, that's a caught fish. Given that your hands won't have removed any of the fish's protective slime, you're doing it a favor.

When possible, on dinks I try to grab the fly and turn it upside down so the fish falls off into the water.
In that case, I'm going to start fishing with 30' leaders.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 06-09-2012, 09:30 AM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post

+1, spot on with BigCliff's assessment. I do not count fouled fish.
Old 06-09-2012, 10:07 AM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

I have not been fishing with a net lately so my rule is if I get a hand on the leader I win.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:23 AM

cockatouche will become famous soon enough

This may sound like a strange twist but, every time I fish, my attitude is that I am fishing for survival. If I can't eat the fish if I choose to, the fish is not caught.
Old 06-10-2012, 06:56 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

If it is on the hook it is caught. Brought to hand or netted are the only fish I count.

---------- Post added at 04:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 AM ----------

" LDR", Thats a guy I fish with. So at the end of the day if he says I got 30, I say you mean you actually got 10, he gets mad but I don't care.
Old 06-10-2012, 09:20 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I put fish in hand, buddy and I always say hooked x landed x. Now, I do agree that if you are the one that lets the fish go by feeding him slack so he can get off, generally done with the smaller fish and barbless hooks, that this is a catch, because you released him, not because he slipped the hook. We all know the difference between I let him go and he spit the hook just before I got him to hand or the net.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 06-10-2012, 10:11 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw355 View Post
If it is on the hook it is caught. Brought to hand or netted are the only fish I count.

---------- Post added at 04:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:53 AM ----------

" LDR", Thats a guy I fish with. So at the end of the day if he says I got 30, I say you mean you actually got 10, he gets mad but I don't care.

Now you make me laugh, I a fall in to the LDR (long distance = 5 to 10' meaning I actually fought the fish and brought him in somewhat). When comapring to guys I fish with the LDR's dont count.

In a former life I used to teach golf and coud play really well. I hated when I would go out and play by the letter of the law and shoot 76 while my buddy is taking mulligans, taking gimme's , not playing by the important stroke impacting rules at all. When we were done they would say hey I shot 80 and you shot 76 I am getting closer. I would always politely say you can say whatever you want to say you shot to whoever, I dont care. However if you are in any way comaring your score to mine for money or for bragging rights we will play by the same rules.

I was never rude about it, but yes if you are comparing your results to mine for any sort of competition standpoint....play it right.

So yes fish caught by letter of the law is in hand or in the net. For fun and a enjoying the afternoon..I am just happy to be out there

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 09-01-2012, 10:46 AM

marty mcfly is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockatouche View Post
This may sound like a strange twist but, every time I fish, my attitude is that I am fishing for survival. If I can't eat the fish if I choose to, the fish is not caught.
Let me get my two cents in here before this thread gets too old. I agree with Cockatouche, I always seem to measure a "catch" in the context of why humans started fishing in the first place - for food. I never consider a fish caught unless I could have walked back to the cave with it. I can only imagine my neanderthal tribes' reaction if I plodded back to my home cave and grunted that even though I did not have any fish for dinner, I "caught" a bunch.

But, in the modern times of C&R fishing, I have broadened my definition of "catch" just a tiny bit because I have occasionally lost a fish that was at my feet when I was spending too much time trying to land it without hurting it. I always felt like I should get full credit for those fish. So, when defining a "catch," I usually try to determine whether my neanderthal twin, who would have just swung the fish onto the bank without regard to the health of the fish, would have been able to get it in hand and walk back to the cave with it on a vine.

As you can see, I fish alone alot and sometimes my imagination gets the better of me!