The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: What do you consider as a "caught" fish?
Only a fish in hand counts. 158 83.60%
One that fights long and hard, even if he eventually slips the hook. 21 11.11%
If there is a solid hookup, even if it slips the hook a few seconds later. 10 5.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 189. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2012, 02:53 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What do you consider a "caught" fish?

Great answer MC, great answer.

I'm going to let 99.9999999% of the fish I hook 'go,' so if I hook/loose a second later does that change the eventual out come?

fae
Old 02-20-2013, 08:58 AM

standman is on a distinguished road

Interesting poll. My personal view as to what is considered a "caught" fish is not listed. My view: if the fish comes into a close enough proximity to me so that I could reach down and touch it, it's a "caught" fish. I'm not as young and limber as I used to be and so it sometimes takes more effort to reach the fish, especially when fishing from shore.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:23 AM

Bonefishdick is on a distinguished road

I am in the same boat as standman, I voted for fish in hand, but my friends and I all have set the rule of thumb as " once the leader is within a foot of the tip of the rod, it is a caught fish.

We do a lot of Striper fishing and this allows us to watch the other guy and keep each other honest and allows for some good back and forth banter. Barbless also makes it easier to shake them loose without handling the fish.

I fished with a guy who would consider a fish caught once he got it to hit. His belief was he fooled the fish in it's environment. He had fantastic catch numbers.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:50 AM

noreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nicenoreaster is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
If you don't get to choose whether or not you are gonna eat it, then it wasn't caught.

I seldom keep any fish I catch, but that is MY choice, not the fault of a poorly set hook or a loose line at the net.
I agree, its in hand if you need the fish as food. If you have caught many and see yourself as a bothersome irritation to the trout, then in the spirit of being merciful, the lines between caught and hoping to lose the odd fish become blurred.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:23 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonefishdick View Post
I fished with a guy who would consider a fish caught once he got it to hit. His belief was he fooled the fish in it's environment. He had fantastic catch numbers.
That's my friend Jason. If he tells me he "caught" 10, I say you mean 5.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:39 PM

joebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura aboutjoebloe has a spectacular aura about

Here's a quick story of a fish I definitely caught, but released itself on his own terms -
During last fall's steelhead outing my 2 buddies and I were getting into some fish - we typically like to take a quick photo with the fish we catch before releasing them -( when one of us hooks into a fish, one guy goes for the net and the other grabs the camera )- So.. I hook and fight a nice colorful steelie, get him close, and my buddy Frank gets it into our big aluminum framed net, and we notice the net is twisted around the fish's tail - the hook shakes out of the fish's mouth on it's own (usually good), and before I can get my hands on it (and before my other friend, Steve, has the camera up) this fish twists itself, using it's tangled tail as leverage, straight up and over the rim of the net and back into the river!!
After a moment of "F***!!!" we realized it was way cooler to experience what we just saw than to just have another pic of me holding a fish -
noreaster likes this.
Old 02-24-2013, 08:10 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

So lets say that there is a two fish limit on the stream your fishing, you,ve already caught two and released them unharmed, do you still feel you can go on fishing? or do you feel you can keep taking catch as long as you release the fish and not keep a limit.

Rick
Old 02-24-2013, 08:41 PM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

I do not worry about counting when fishing for trout. For steelhead, a guy I fish with is far, far more experienced than I am, so I use his method of counting the fish as caught when the leader is back in the guides.
Old 02-24-2013, 09:43 PM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

These are my Personal interpretations which I go by irrespective of The Species:
I only count Fish which I've Taken The Hook out of as Caught,if by chance it get off before I net it,get it in The Boat or on The Bank then I call it a Fish I've Lost.
On the other hand which has happened numerous times to me & many others.
If The hook comes out of The Fish Whilst it's secure in The Net Then it's counted as Caught also.
Brian.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:49 PM

socorrofly is on a distinguished road

Caught speaks for itself, however what's the difference between "bag limit" and "in possession"?
fredaevans likes this.