The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: What do you consider as a "caught" fish?
Only a fish in hand counts. 151 84.83%
One that fights long and hard, even if he eventually slips the hook. 18 10.11%
If there is a solid hookup, even if it slips the hook a few seconds later. 9 5.06%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 178. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree24Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2013, 12:39 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: What do you consider a "caught" fish?

This thread is a very important tool for this forum. We now know who to trust when posting about all the fish they caught, but don't have any pictures to include. Haha

If a fish comes off because of something it did or a mistake you made, you didn't catch the fish. If the fish came off because you purposely let it go either after having it in your hand, net or buy getting the fish in close and then purposely putting slack in the line to let the fish off, you caught the fish.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:46 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

It's caught if I could have taken it home and eaten it.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:11 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

In saltwater if your intent is release once you touch the leader it is a catch!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 03-03-2013, 04:32 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant View Post
Up until recently, unless I had a fish in hand, I never considered it caught. But this weekend I had a number of them get to my feet and then slip the hook. Which got me thinking, does it really matter if I get my hand wet/covered in slime for the fish to count? I fought it, I played it in, and at the last second it slipped away. Which really doesn't matter when I'm just going to release it anyway.

So, what do you guys think shoudl count as a "caught" fish?
It doesn't matter to me. If one came unhooked at my feet I'd simply say I lost one at my feet. Getting it that far was accomplishment enough. Why be hung up about whether it was landed or not. Counting fish hooked and landed is like keeping score. I would have enjoyed golf a lot more if I didn't have to keep score...
Old 03-14-2013, 10:30 PM

troutbum1982 is on a distinguished road

In hand, anything else is lost.
Old 03-14-2013, 11:30 PM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

They only count if they are in the net and hooked in the mouth. Foul hooks don't count!

Randy
Old 03-20-2013, 08:46 AM

nick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nicenick k is just really nice

In freshwater, I count a catch as any fish that is lifted above water, even if it flops off before you actually get a grip on it.

Once it's above water, my goal is to unhook it and put it back in anyway. It just saves me the trouble at that point.
Old 04-09-2014, 06:25 AM

lv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nice

I've always thought that unless you touched it it wasn't caught, I mean that's always how it was growing up. But then again everyone always kept them, nowadays what with putting back 99.9% of the fish I'm not so sure now. You know the bump and gone, I consider that a sting nothing more. More and more I've been thinking as long as I hook and play the fish and get a look see at it I'm happy. Putting it back anyway... As a side note when I talk to others about how many I caught it's always fish to hand, and then x amount lost. So thinking about it I voted wrong. How's that for a contradiction?
Old 04-09-2014, 06:50 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

a caught fish in my book is one that come to hand, and i choose to turn back to fight another day

lv2n, you a rehashing some good threads
fredaevans likes this.
Old 04-09-2014, 07:49 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

as in supper and competition...