The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: How Many Fly Boxes Do You Carry In Your Vest/Pack?
0 0 0%
1 37 11.53%
2 86 26.79%
3 75 23.36%
4 69 21.50%
5 21 6.54%
6 11 3.43%
7 5 1.56%
8 6 1.87%
9 1 0.31%
10 2 0.62%
The Kitchen Sink or what??? 8 2.49%
Voters: 321. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2007, 04:27 PM

Yoffione is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How Many Fly Boxes Do You Carry In Your Vest/Pack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by madriverbrown View Post
Two. One for nymphs and dries , one for streamers.
Yeah, that.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:12 AM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

I usually carry two plus whatever I have on my vest. Probably 20, maybe 25, flies total.

Randy
Old 11-06-2007, 03:20 PM

Midgeaholic is on a distinguished road
Re: How Many Fly Boxes Do You Carry In Your Vest/Pack?

My fishing is so specific to the San Juan that I have learned to downsize so I carry only what the rivers biology dictates. Tailwater fisheries are almost all the same when it comes to there natural trout feeding insects. I wear a guide shirt and I carry three small boxes with Midges, emergers, larva and terrestials. some leeches and beatis in there various stages. midgeaholic
Old 11-14-2007, 02:47 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

Usally around 30 boxes, between the vest, packs, and storage in the truck..
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 11-14-2007, 03:38 PM

Wyatt is on a distinguished road

I have 1 small box that holds size 18 and smaller, chest pack has a foam pad in front pocket that holds larger flys, the daughter has same pack and small box but has some different flies so we can cover more options when our normal bugs are not working.
Wyatt
Old 12-11-2007, 11:18 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Now just two - the new Cliff's Super Days Worth and the Orvis Dropper Rig Fly Box [pictures below]. This new Cliff's is a two-sided box, one side containing magnetic compartments (picture doesn't show recently-upgraded compartments) for midges & other small flies, and the other side securely attaching large streamers and regular-sized flies. Surprising how much this box holds for its relatively small size - easily enough for any of my days on the water.

The Orvis allows you to carry up to fifteen pre-rigged dropper rigs without getting them all tangled up, for easy change-out without the need for re-rigging while onstream. Really works well in conjunction with the Scientific Anglers L2L Reconnect line-to-leader system - better in my opinion than Scientific Anglers' own L2L Reconnect flyboxes.

Of course, because I never throw anything away, I probably have another dozen boxes offstream, which I justify to my wife as "for holding inventory". Whatever works . . .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cliff Outdoors Super Days Worth fly box.jpg (69.2 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg Orvis $24.50 Dropper Rig Fly Box (SI76KH).jpg (74.6 KB, 36 views)
Old 12-12-2007, 11:04 AM

Midgeaholic is on a distinguished road

Seasons Greetings, I carry 3 small fly boxes astream. I wear a guide shirt and no fishingvest which is very comfortable. My midges, wd-40s, RS-2s are in one box, these are the most effective sizes and colors. I organize according to color first, size second, shape third, color last. Box Two contains: Dry midges, Baetis( bluewinged olives), and PMDs, again various sizes( 22-30) and colors. Box three contains: Terrestials, Ants dry and wet, beetles, jassids, chamois leeches. This particular assortment of boxes covers just about any situation in most western tailwaters. midgeaholic
Old 01-07-2008, 03:08 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Geez I'm pathetic!!, I had to go look and I counted 27 boxes, some big and some smaller.
We carry all fly boxes in the boat bag, we usually have the boat with us.
These boxes are divided into the usual categories such as nymph, dry, etc, but we also have" Water specific boxes" that hold time tested patterns for several rivers or lakes. these can be put in the vest for wandering away from the boat.
Also some boxes are 1 pattern only, in different sizes and color wariations.
Buggers, Stimulators, glowbugs and eggs.

Make that 28 boxes, I just remembered tho Orvis dropper rig box mentioned above that we got for Christmas.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 01-08-2008, 08:48 PM

zerolimit is on a distinguished road

If I'm on an extended trip with multiple fisheries, I'm guilty of bringing the kitchen sink. Normally it's two though. One for nymphs and streamers and one for dries. The exception is something like my home river, the American. It's a tailwater fishery with limited food sources and I keep one box that I can just grab and fish that river any time of year.
Old 01-28-2008, 09:56 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

I usually carry 2 boxes of flies, and my fly fishing pack has another "foam plate"(dunno what it is called) to store flies as well.