The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: How Many Fly Boxes Do You Carry In Your Vest/Pack?
0 0 0%
1 37 11.82%
2 84 26.84%
3 73 23.32%
4 66 21.09%
5 20 6.39%
6 11 3.51%
7 5 1.60%
8 6 1.92%
9 1 0.32%
10 2 0.64%
The Kitchen Sink or what??? 8 2.56%
Voters: 313. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2009, 12:20 PM

9ason is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How Many Fly Boxes Do You Carry In Your Vest/Pack?

I usually pull flies from my other boxes and put them in 1 box, so when I am actually fishing, I usually carry only one box, so I voted one. However, I carry a bunch of boxes in the car/pack. I usually fish with my necklace I made (a whole lot cooler--temperature-wise-- than my vest) and I don't dangle my boxes on it, so I usually just put one in my pants pocket.
Old 06-13-2009, 06:21 AM

Steelhead Junkie will become famous soon enough

I carry three boxes, one large box for general Trout/Steelhead, one small box woth all flies I've tie mself(which hasn't been seeing any filling lately), and a metal tin with foam inserted to hold bass bugs.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:44 PM

goin2themountains is on a distinguished road

This is the pits. I happily clicked 4 as I used to keep a box each of dries, wets, streamers, and one last box of nymphs in my vest. Just taking up fly fishing seriously again after a several year lapse, and you made me go look in the RV basement. 5 more boxes of flies in there. Mostly specialty stuff. Crud, and I was all set to pick up another box of local flies when I go up to Gunnison at the end of the month. See what you started.
Old 06-22-2009, 05:09 PM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough

I have two bigger boxes that stay at home, and one small morell floating box that comes with me. I'm going to buy a second now that I'm going to start driving to different fishing spots.
Old 07-01-2009, 11:15 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I have several boxes of flies, but I limit myself to one box. One thing that I learned from backpacking is to minimalize my load. It's hard to not have the right fly when a box is loaded with 100+ flies. I counted the flies in my general purpose trout box. It has 161 flies with enough space for 20 more.

I have boxes loaded for different waters and times of the year. For example, I have three boxes for the Truckee River. My fall box is heavy on streamers and nymphs. My Spring/Summer box is loaded with terrestrials, caddis, mayflies, and stoneflies. My Winter Box is loaded with small mayflies and midges.

MP

Edit: For stillwater fishing, all bets are off. I know that I carry multiple boxes in the pockets of my float tube and pontoon boat.
Old 07-17-2009, 09:35 PM

flyfisher117 will become famous soon enoughflyfisher117 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to flyfisher117

i have my dry box my wet/streamer/nypmh box, my bass popper box...and a little box that has all my little size 20+ drys cause they dont fit into my big dry box
Old 03-30-2011, 01:50 PM

bmfa is on a distinguished road

I carry around 8. I'm a fly junkie, I think I have to have every pattern under the sun with me because you never know. This may be why my back hurts after 3 - 4 hours on the river. I tried a chest pack and just could'nt get used to it. I'll stick with my ole Simms vest. And all of its pockets...
Old 03-30-2011, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

usually...4was offered two new fly boxes....recently
Old 03-30-2011, 02:25 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Four in my atlantic salmon vest. Way too many in my trout vest. Don't even think about how many are in the boat.
Gary
Old 03-30-2011, 02:47 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

I voted 5, as I fish from my tube about 80-90% of the time and when I'm packing, I tend to just throw the first five boxes in the pockets right before I head out the door.

When I hike streams, I usually only carry two or three boxes, which is kind of overkill, since I'm pretty sure most of the time I only fish six or seven different types of flies on a given day.

At Lee's Ferry, I bring one or none. Over 90% of the time, I'm fishing a slitshotted zeeb rig, and I have about 150 of them in my chestpack on that foam thing (supposedly that thing is called a 'workstation.'), so no need to carry a box. But sometimes there's a hatch or a cicada bite, and then I'll bring some emergers and big dries in another box.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark