The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: How Many Fly Boxes Do You Carry In Your Vest/Pack?
0 0 0%
1 37 11.60%
2 85 26.65%
3 74 23.20%
4 69 21.63%
5 21 6.58%
6 11 3.45%
7 5 1.57%
8 6 1.88%
9 1 0.31%
10 2 0.63%
The Kitchen Sink or what??? 8 2.51%
Voters: 319. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-25-2013, 04:24 PM

charged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura aboutcharged has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: How Many Fly Boxes Do You Carry In Your Vest/Pack?

I tend to hoard fishing equipment at home, out on the water I'm mostly a minimalist. I don't think I've ever carried more than one small fly box out on any of my trips. Most the time I spend fly fishing, all my flies fit into a small foam lined Altoids tin.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:53 PM

stuie675 will become famous soon enoughstuie675 will become famous soon enough

I carry four, but they are smaller boxes and all organized to the type of fly they carry.
Old 03-25-2013, 04:55 PM

cw76 has a spectacular aura aboutcw76 has a spectacular aura about

I try to keep it under 4. After that It's too much messing around digging and what not.
Old 03-26-2013, 08:38 AM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Typically 3

Box 1) midges and nymphs that are go to patterns. I will carry each in at least 2 if not 3 different sizes

Box 2) dry flies and various other midges I've accumulated over the years.

Box 3) this one is with me most of the time it has San Juan worms , eggs, stoneflies

Box 4) is my Salmonfly season box. Big stone and salmon fly patterns and streamers.

"Snap it" Hank Patterson
Old 03-28-2013, 10:50 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

I carry one wee one with a few select nymphs,,,another with compartments with dries,,and on the ripple foam, some small'ish streamers.

BUT,,,,,,,,,,I LOVE fly boxes. I have several sitting here on the tying desk. I love to tie, and tie, and fill one up,,,then start on another.

I have that delima some others must have,,,,,,,what in the world am I gonna do with all these flies ? I need a fishing pard that hates fly tying,,,I could be his best friend LOL
Old 03-16-2014, 09:04 PM

wa_eric is on a distinguished road

carry 3!! and I have 3 for every type of fishing I am doing!!!
Old 03-16-2014, 09:24 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

For trout usually four, sometimes 5. Right now:

1. Nymph box
2. Dry box
3. Streamer box
4. small midge box, some overlap with nymph and dry but carries the really small stuff.

Have a box of terrestrials including mice but don't have it in the pack now.

For bass I carry one streamer and one popper/bass bug box.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:16 AM

lv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nice

When I'm packing full it's 10, but that's at the height of hatch time and when I'm expecting to hit two or more major streams in an outing. For just a day trip to one stream it's usually four.
Old 03-31-2014, 10:45 AM

boomslang is on a distinguished road

one large one for trout fishing. Two for steelheading (one nymph and one streamer). My flies are not neatly organized in my box.

For trout fishing, I keep a box with all sorts of flies....nymphs, dries, wets, and streamers. there are several sizes of a few basic but effective flies. When I am exploring a new river or location, I tend to carry an additional box with searching or attractor patterns.
Old 03-31-2014, 11:52 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lv2nymph View Post
When I'm packing full it's 10, but that's at the height of hatch time and when I'm expecting to hit two or more major streams in an outing. For just a day trip to one stream it's usually four.
Reminds me of this guy. How in the world could you possibly need that many flies at one time? I like to carry a lot of flies, maybe two large boxes and a small one, but this guy (in the video) is just silly!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8MEZYDRmL0