The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: Do you like the concept of "opening day"?
Yes 9 22.50%
No 31 77.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-06-2010, 08:45 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice
Default Re: Do you like "opening day"?

I avoid opening day like the seven plagues of Hell! Too many people, no manners, lots of drunks, horrible language in front of men, women and kids. On another forum several people stated that they packed the Jaegermeister before they even bothered to load a fishing rod!

Usually the first trip I make to any state park after an opening day, I spend at least a couple of hours picking up trash and debris from around and in the river. It doesn't matter which park/river I go to - they all get trashed on opening day! With state budgets cut to the bone, there are few (if any) state empoyees available to pick up after all the slobs have departed.

You could not pay me enough to attend a Missouri trout opener in one of the state parks. If I go anywhere it will be to one of the smallest trout streams where there is at least some semblance of tranquility.
Old 04-07-2010, 08:12 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I'm not a fan of opening days; although I can see the advantages they offer. Money for the local fly shops, extra fishing licenses the state sells, the introduction to new fisherfolks... The negatives I see for the most part the crowds, and the attitudes you run into. Since I retired I have my own personal Opening Days, usually the Monday after; I like them much better.

Dan
Old 04-09-2010, 09:38 AM

hunter1 is on a distinguished road

I use to live next to a creek that stocked in maryland. Before the season would start nonsportsman bums would be down there taking fish out form the pool right under the bridge. they would show up right after the stocking was done. I would call mddnr or best i would run them off at night from my property, They lost there appatite for stocked trout? when miss remi 870 spoke first. Thats why I hate oppening day, brings out the nonsportsmen.
Old 04-09-2010, 01:06 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

I've always headed up to the Eastern Sierra about a month after the opener and spend the weekdays leading up to Memorial Day weekend fishing when there are few people around. I'm driving home when the hordes are just arriving for the long weekend.

Many of the lakes still have ice on them through mid May, and sometimes later. I've also found that I would rather fish in places where there is less pressure. Several of the rivers and streams in that area are open year 'round with restrictions (barbless, catch-and-release only), which I don't mind. When it's cold, there are fewer people, and you can fish anytime.

I have to agree with Frank. It has always fascinated me that so many people go up to the Sierra Nevada mountains in the summer, and the prospect of finding solitude seems elusive at best. However, if you hike in just a few miles, solitude is available with not too much effort. Most people still don't deviate very far from main roads and campgrounds.

I once backpacked into the Hoover Wilderness (just outside Yosemite) in August. I spent five days exploring, but was never further than 5-10 miles from the hordes. I saw maybe two or three people in five days. Small effort...big pay off.

Cheers,

-VB
Old 03-26-2011, 01:31 AM

951tightline is on a distinguished road

I have stopped going to the opening day just because the streams I go to are WAY to pressured, they are just as good later in the season. I stick to my local creeks for a couple weeks.

Tight Lines
Scott
Old 07-04-2011, 08:59 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Here in Free America we don't have an opening day. We fish all year long. Another reason to love living in Colorado.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:46 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Growing up in southeast PA I always liked the "tradition" of opening day, but hated the closed season (and the crowds). Once the PA Fish Commission split the opening day into two regions it pretty much killed the tradition (and doubled the crowds).

Since moving to Utah - no closed seasons, no scheduled fleets of stocking trucks, no opening day - I can honestly say that I prefer it this way.
Old 05-05-2012, 11:52 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Since the thread has been resurrected, figured I'd drop my own impression... the majority of waters I fish don't close. Opening Day was good for one particular reason:
Click the image to open in full size.
Opening day facial hair! It's like No-Shave November meets Civil War Formal, and may have been the result of losing a bet at the bar in Roscoe the night before... The rest of the day was full of consistent but generally snobby risers and a hook bent straight by a hard-fighting fish which I never had the pleasure of seeing! That and a few bucketfuls of rain and proof that the Orvis Pro Guide jacket does a pretty darn good job of keeping water out.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...