The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: On average how many flies do you carry in your fly boxes?
1-50 41 31.54%
51-100 41 31.54%
100-150 20 15.38%
151-200 8 6.15%
201-250 4 3.08%
251-300 3 2.31%
301+ 12 9.23%
Other 1 0.77%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-23-2007, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: On average how many flies do you carry in your fly boxes?

I assume that the question was about the flies that you carry on your person. I tend to fish the same rivers all of the time and only carry what flies that I am going to use. When fishing from my pontoon boat I use a chest pack and have 3 or 4 small boxes with the flies for the day. Now if you count the flies in the car, it would be a bunch.----Frank
Old 07-07-2007, 02:57 PM

jdgrubbjr is on a distinguished road

When wading, I generally carry one box containing approximately 72 dries, one box containing approximately 72 nymphs, and one box containing approximately 36 streamers. When tooning, I usually take four big boxes containing approximately 150 flies since space and weight isn't an issue, which I store in my side pockets. I used to carry one big box while wading until I lost one while taking a dunk several years ago in the backcountry. I like my odds of having a fly box better with more than one box.
Old 01-31-2008, 02:31 AM

thredbo is on a distinguished road

A little while back I got fed up with carrying so much gear so I did a cull of my flies to get down to 2 boxes (200 flies) from the 4 fly boxes I would normally carry. This season I broke that down to a river box and a lake box.

I find that I have my go to flies so I keep two of each in a range of hook sizes, then I have a number of flies that I carry with me just in case and may only keep a couple of each in their most productive size. Initially it was tough keeping it down to 120 flies all up in each box, but I have never looked back and I am yet to be caught out with only one fly box.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:20 AM

FlyGal has a spectacular aura aboutFlyGal has a spectacular aura about

I carry 300+ easy, yet it's always the fly hot off the vise that I always go for.
Old 08-13-2008, 12:15 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

way to many to count, way over 300 +

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 02-07-2009, 11:31 PM

GRN will become famous soon enough

I've caught 90% of my trout all over the northeast in the last 15 years on 15-20 different flies...

Seriously, if you are carrying 300+ flies, you could probably benefit by paying more attention. That's insane.

I choose fly rods the same way I do women, motorcycles, and cowboy boots...
go with what ever feels good, and keep on hand as many as I can afford
Old 02-09-2009, 09:59 PM

Ronnie z is on a distinguished road

i take enough flies to sink a small barge..lol 500+
Old 02-10-2009, 07:30 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I carry about 30 flies on my person, and have a few boxes in the car when I fish the river around here. I am generally only 5 minutes from the car but I have been thinking a lot like GRN lately and am going through what I want to carry with me. My fishing trips generally consist of 3 or 4 hours at a time and I find I am fishing one of 4 or 5 streamers (wooley buggers or sculpins, or wooley worms); 4 or 5 different nymphs (hares ear, caddis pupa, pheasant tail, scuds, prince) and 4 or 5 different dries (adams, elk hair caddis, ants, grasshopper, stonefly). put these together in various colors and a few different sizes and I am not sure there are any other flies I really need to carry. 15 to 20 patterns, 3 different colors (light, medium and dark browns for the dries/nymphs and white, tan or olive, and black for the buggers) and a few different sizes 12, 14, 16. and I thinnk this is my box I am putting together. I think I will leave some room for 4 or 5 flies that are the "hot flies of the week" either from the net here or the local fly shop. My biggest problem is I have been wearing a chest pack, and there is not a lot of room for fly boxes in it so I have to carry the flies in my shirt or wading jacket pocket, because of this, I need a couple small fly boxes for dries and nymphs and I put the streamers in the built in fly carrier in the chest pack.

I am going to continue to play around with this concept until I come up with something I really like, but that is it so far.

Dave
Old 02-11-2009, 01:44 PM

jclampwork88 will become famous soon enoughjclampwork88 will become famous soon enough

I votes 300+ because I carry different stuff for the times of the year. I also carry 10 or more of each pattern so that is why i voted that way.

John
Old 04-23-2009, 09:20 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Probably a zillion. After all, if I didn't carry every fly I've ever tied, it would be a confession that all my flies might not be the best fishing choice.