The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: 80% vs. 20%?
Fish dries 3 6.12%
Fish it all. 46 93.88%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 11:04 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 80/20

I should add that most of the time, when I fish for largemouth or bluegill, if I'm not able to fish on top, I don't bother.
You fish for fun and so you might as well fish the way you want
I fish for my own enjoyment, and that's what I like
Old 05-18-2011, 02:46 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Jimmie, you look me up if you come north. We'll fix you up.
Dean Mt., HAZA!!!!!
As a guide I've wondered why I have so much water to myself most of the time.
Miles of it.
The fish are there, they have to eat, but seven to eight months out of a year hardly any fisherpersons on the water. (Not really an issue)
?????????????
It's because they're not "rising".
I think it's great to fish a dry, but I refuse to complain about fishing if they won't look up.
And please, as a client, don't look at me like I've got soiled drawers, if I suggest Indy style or whatever.
It's taken a while to get my head around it too.
But if you change it up, you can just keep fishing.............
Why wait till summer, warmish water, knee deep in company, spooky fish.
I vote for fishing it all. Year-round. (Although I don't want to appear obsessed.)
As far as streamers go Dean, I've consistently caught much bigger fish on a streamer than on a dry. Some folks may look at you funny.... but go for it anyway.
And, it's snowin' again.

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 05-18-2011 at 03:09 AM.
Old 05-18-2011, 08:56 AM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

I voted "fish it all", but the truth is that if I think there's even a chance that a dry or popper will get me a fish, then that's the way that I'll be going. It's just more fun to see the take on top.

Pocono
Old 05-18-2011, 09:04 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I fish it all but I'm a streamer/wet guy. I do like waking or skating caddis when the hatch or rather the egg drop is happening. I might catch less waking but the takes are wicked!
Old 05-18-2011, 09:31 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

If I even think I saw a fish nose peak out of the film I'm on dry flies. There's just something about the take that is a huge part of the enjoyment for me. For pure numbers it's hard to beat subsurface but if I had my druthers...
Guides are funny. Each one of you, just like your customers, are different. I remember going out with a guide from a well known shop in W. Yellowstone. As we walked to the boat we were kicking up swarms of juicy hoppers. In the boat, the first thing the guide does is rig up bobbers and nymphs. I asked if he didn't notice the hoppers on the trail and he said he did but indicators was the way to go. After a half hour of begging him to tie a hopper on I finally told him his tip depended on his tying hoppers on both of our lines. He did and we just nailed 'em after that. Big fun for sure. Results of the first casts with the hoppers between Bill and I...

Click the image to open in full size.

When I was a kid our family fished a lot. We made no distinction between worms and dry flies. It was whatever worked.
In the early '80's my job gave me pretty much two roads to choose... become a professional lounge lizard and hang out in hotel bars while on the road or find something easier on the heart, soul and liver. Fly fishing it was and boy, did I get my licks in. Red Ball bootfoots over suit pants was the call after work. I was able to plan road trips around runs and hatches. Dang that was great!
Old 05-18-2011, 11:43 AM

mack_s is on a distinguished road

I fish it all.

Never really considered myself a 'Dry Fly' fisherman. My prefered fly is a nice big streamer. I'll fish drys on occasion and when I do I prefer terristrials (sp?) such as hoppers, beetles, etc.

As for fly fishing and tying...been doing it off and on for the last 40 years. Wow, there's a reality check for ya!!
Old 05-18-2011, 12:41 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future

Jackster, (sweet fish pic) a hopper was the first fly I fished/tyed. If they are out, I fish'em.
I learned to match the hatch with them. Gray, brown, pink, green, blue legged, redlegged....etc. (Favorite way to fish'em now, is drowned. Doubled my takes.)
Can't say if guides are "funny" before they start, or if it's learned.
On kind water, a sloppy drift, or poor fly selection may still work.
Here, I mostly need to raise skill sets to score. If you've only fished creeks with dries, this place will work you.
Think dentistry, or maybe a batting cage with machine set at 90mph (Wiff, wiff, wiff).
I understand only doing what you enjoy. It is a "free country", and, it's your day..
But over time I've had to go away from my comfort zone (dries) to catch fish.
This is all I'm trying to share with my clients..
The more tricks in your kit, the better off you are.
My MO now, is to take the game to the fish, not wait for the rise.
To me, it's great to approach water at any flow, anytime of year, and have game.
Mack, I hope you swing thru Truckee with your streamers, maybe fall?
The biggy browns here love a good sculpin.
Keep the poll rolling.

Jim
Old 05-18-2011, 02:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I went back and gave it a 'Fish It All' because if I were still living in the lower 48 that is what would happen. Versatility was always the key.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-18-2011, 04:17 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice

I've fly fished for about 25 years...I don't know If I ever told this before, but before last year I'd only fished nymphs once without success. For some reason I was intimidated by the things read and saw in videos about getting a good drift subsurface. So I only fished dries and most of the time I caught a lot of small fish, but I purposely fished places where fish were not planted. After my children were born and I got 100% custody I still fly fished, but seldom. I mostly gear fished when ever I did. Last year I fished with a guide to learn how to fish nymphs indi style, dry dropper, and tight lining, High Sticking without indicators. I have to admit I love nymph fishing, because I've been small fished out and since I've started fishing below the surface I've caught my biggest trout on a fly. The truth is and its probably, because of my early exposure to books and videos by Gary Borger I've always believed that trout feed 90% of the time below surface and some more than that. Matter of fact even if I see fish rising, I'm now likely to try fishing emergers and cripples in or just below the film, before going to purely surface dry flies. So I'd probably say from now on I suspect I'll likely fish dry flies 5% of the time. This year I intend to learn to fish streamers, I've been told by a friend and guide I've learned quite a bit from that once I do I'll likely want to fish nothing else. We'll see!
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.

Last edited by FlyBum; 05-21-2011 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:30 PM

Tom, I'd be willing to bet we have one of the highest washout rates in sports.
Information overload (bugsbugsbugsbugs), some practice is required (castcastcastcast), and FFishings snotty reputation as well..( so...what kind of rod do you fi..Oh,mines a ___,
with a custom___reel, designed for private water I have the keys to.....
Pricey gear, travel times to good water, fear of wading, knots, failure, hooks, snakes, etc......
I'm glad we were able to hang tough.
Because I have some similar memories, I try hard to simplify things, and make flyfishing approachable. Of course, you still need water and practice. That's the minimum.
But with many people, once they have experienced the "Water world", without pressure, it's pretty hard for them to put it down. I know I'm ruined.
I fish dries, nymphs, emergers, cripples, fry, worms, eggs, accidentals, and stuff that shouldn't catch fish, but does.
In any style I can learn, or make up.
Much of the time, I just sit, watch and learn. To me now, fish are a bonus.
I'm sorry, what was the question?

Jim