The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: 80% vs. 20%?
Fish dries 3 6.12%
Fish it all. 46 93.88%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2011, 05:42 PM
Glen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really niceGlen Wright is just really nice
Default Re: 80/20

Jim, I'm with you. There wasn't a question...just my long winded way of saying I now fish about 95% sub-surface, because I beleive above average size trout fish at least 95% of the time below surface. Its been a rumor in some circles I've traveled in that if you ask me what time it is I'll explain the history of time pieces and how they work before telling someone the time.
Attention New Fly Fishers and those just wanting to improve- Join a Fly Fishing Club. They have classes on every aspect of fly fishing for beginners to advanced for free or cheaper than offered elsewhere. Some offer mentor programs. You will make friends with other fly fishers. Clubs often have outings in which members pay special group rates for guides or to fish prime private access areas.
Old 05-18-2011, 05:51 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Wink Re: 80/20

I heard that "time", was a confidence scheme worked by the Swiss.
Of course the Japanese took over that market with digital time......
Old 05-18-2011, 05:55 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Ain't drop shottin' illegal? milt. Been fly fishing 16 years.

Last edited by milt spawn; 05-18-2011 at 05:59 PM. Reason: time exposed
Old 05-19-2011, 12:28 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

Don't know milt.
I just don't do it.
Jim
Old 05-19-2011, 12:39 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Not to get off subject here but what is drop shotting?
Old 05-19-2011, 03:51 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

I fish dries and nymphs and do well on both depending on the time of year . I think the biggest fish are caught sub-surface, But i do love the dry fly.
I have been fly fishing about 31 yrs and still think its an in justice to the fish when i see a bait or spinner fisherman. Thats just me lol
Old 05-19-2011, 09:52 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I believe we are talking about added weight below the last fly or hook. By the book in CA it's technically illegal. CA Flyfisher magazine, last year, August(?), R. Cutter, Under the Alders. milt.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
Drop shotting was developed by Bass tournament anglers from the West coast. It involves taking a hook and palomar knotting it on with the tag end being left long. Done right the hook with the tag end being pulled down and the running line pulled up, the hook stands straight out from the line with the barb up. If you tie it on wrong, you can run the tag end back down through the eye and fix the goof up without retying. Then on the end of line, you use a special drop shot weight. It has a small pinched top loop of wire you run the line through, end then push it into the pinched part. No knots needed and it can be moved. Typically you hook a plastic bait like a small plastic minnow or twister, etc. on the hook. End only. Then with the weight setting on the bottom, twitch the rod tip and make the nearly weightless bait dance like it's alive. You can mimmick this with a fly rod by tying your fly on in the same manner and placing a split shot on the end of the tag end. You may need to tie an overhand knot in the end of the leader to keep from casting the split shot off. You then need to do it more like Czech Nymphing, but instead of the nymph being heavy, the weight is on the end of the leader. Some purist fly anglers may see this as sort of cheating, but then again some may say the same about Czech Nymphing. I don't, not a purist.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:37 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I've fished something similar but the weight is the nymph with a soft hackle above it tied to the tag end of the tippet knot. I wouldn't call what I'm doing "cheating" anymore than a dry/dropper is. Its the same priciple just reversed. To each their own I guess...
Old 05-20-2011, 01:40 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

im gonna say sub.
when i was growing up in ak we used to fish salmon eggs.
you cure em in borax for a few days and there you go. ugly-stick with a martin mg-72 multiplier spooled with 250 yds of maxima ultragreen 20 lb.
throw in a an egg loop and some 3/0 gamakatsus and you got yourself a ball game

casey

ARFE