The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: 80% vs. 20%?
Fish dries 3 6.12%
Fish it all. 46 93.88%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 10:07 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: 80/20

I've had people quiz me before booking a guide date, if I drop shotted.
That's when I became aware of the issue.
Some folks seem to think it's lowering the bar to catch trout, and that leaving extra lead in the river is a bad idea.
Guide friends tell me it's the easy way to get clients into fish though. No problem, just drag your line along the bottom.
You don't break off flies, just lead. Smart eh? I can see where a "purist" might not like it.
Jim
Old 05-20-2011, 11:35 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I get it, I can see why it could be viewed as lowering the bar. I hate adding any weight if I can't tie it into a nymph. If my heaviest nymph doesn't get down then I fish a streamer. Probably why I'm more inclined to fish to streamers/wets to begin with.
Old 05-21-2011, 10:55 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future

WT, you wouldn't like fishin' here then.
Water's too big to just depend on nymph weight alone, except in low flows.
We often use several ABs in addition to the weighted nymph.
Gotta get it down.....
By the way, a local friend got picked up by Umpqua for a fly called the Brick!
(golden stone xtra heavy) Rubber leggs and weight.

Jim
Old 05-21-2011, 01:46 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

Too true, it does depend on the water. I bet a streamer on a tip would get close enough Most of the places I fish are shallow and of moderate flows so a double tungsten bead or a bead with some lead free wire wraps gets to the bottom. I just don't like pinching anything to my tippet, I'm paranoid! I'd like to try the tungputty or whatever its called but I haven't had the need just yet.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:51 AM

WT, just because your paranoid, doesn't mean they aren't after you.
Pinch the shot too hard and the tippet breaks.
If you ever get back only shot, and no flies.... bruised tippet.
I only use the tungston putty on my dropper tippet. (5-6x bruises very easily.)
Chill putty after applying it to your leader.
I recommend water loads and roll casts. An overhand cast often just blows it off.
Lost track of the number of times I've applied tungston to a clients dropper rig, and scored on the next drift.
Do a clinic yourself, pinch some shot on a piece of tippet, remove it and hold the tippet up to the light.
You may see a cloudy section. If so, do a break test. Bet it breaks there.

Jim
Old 05-22-2011, 02:28 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Hey Jim,
I hope that you are still getting fish in this high water season. I have not been fishing the Lower Yuba like I normally do, but my guide friends who are brave enough to float at 6500 cfs have been fishing multiple AB shots or just putting on SSG or 3/0 shot.

I have been fishing the Bear lately. It's normally a three weight water, but I have been using a five weight with a 175 grain tip line or a six weight with a 225 grain tip line with streamers. The flows have dropped a bit, so I am going out there this evening with a four weight and type three tip. It's kind of crazy to go to those extremes, but the pay offs are good.

Dennis
Old 05-22-2011, 10:14 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

As I had mentioned before, drop shotting is not a fly fishing method. Here is a link to a pretty good diagram of how it's done. Feeding Finicky Bass | The Ultimate Bass Fishing Resource Guide® LLC
Old 05-23-2011, 11:27 AM

Dennis, of course I'm getting out. The T is starting to turn nice, and the phone's ringing..
Water is still up in the grass, but nice color. H2O was 54 midday.
Still a few skwallas running around on shore.
The third rock I turned in the shallows for a client, had a skwalla nymph on it. Hatch is almost over though.
Some micro caddis fluttering, and large carpenter ants walking about.
Their mating flight should happen soon. Can't wait!!!!!
The menu is growing everyday.
Often, "extreme" conditions are normal/acceptable to me. High water, wind, snowing sideways, night, heavy weight, etc...
If no-one is on the water due to conditions, that leaves it open for me.
Which is why I posted in the first place.
Don't wait for it to get good, fish the flood.
Why fish just 10-20% of the time, (Unless that's your preference of course!) the fish have to keep eating.
I hope you get a chance to fish up here this year Dennis, it should be the best in many years.
Maybe PM too.

Dan, more than few folks fish that way for trout. Whether it's a bass style or not.
The question was, is it legal here? Still can't say. Warden doesn't know, regs don't say. (I'll check again with Ralph)
I just don't do it because I don't put lead in the watershed (guess I could use tin shot), and don't want to make it easier to catch fish. Who wants that?
There are.... no rules... (except F&G rules of course, or if chasing fishing records)... for this sport, each to his own........it's just what you can do, or get away with....or enjoy!
Some fishermen won't fish a SanJuan worm, yesterday, this little brown loved one. (Notice he was in the "soft water" at 500 cfs.)
I figure, if it's in my bug net, it's on their mind. Also, the day before one took an egg pattern, must be time for ham and eggs.
Also, if I can think of a new method, I should give it a try!!!! Float a worm, drown a dry, whatever.....
Hoping this sport will evolve for another hundred years or so.

Jim

Click the image to open in full size.
Barret on "new" water. Notice Tee shirt weather, wooohooo.

Last edited by Bigfly; 05-23-2011 at 05:43 PM.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:55 AM

cromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nicecromney is just really nice

I do it all...nymphs, streamers, dries etc. I wish my fav river were more of a dry fly fishery but I'll keep dreaming.....
Old 08-18-2011, 07:45 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

I consider myself to be opportunistic and will throw anything. When I first picked up fly fishing I went out with a guide and he taught me to nymph. Pretty much following the poll's theme of 80/20 or 90/10 (whichever is your preference). As much as I enjoy throwing streamers or nymphs, there is nothing like watching rising fish inhale or slurp your dry fly.