The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: 80% vs. 20%?
Fish dries 3 6.12%
Fish it all. 46 93.88%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2011, 07:46 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default 80/20

It is widely accepted that fish feed 80% of the time subsurface, 20% on top.
So, i'm curious, what percentage of you wait for it to "get good" for dries,
vs. fishing 80% of the time?
Maybe add yrs fished too.

Jim

Bigfly
Old 05-17-2011, 08:08 PM

jamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura aboutjamieof has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: 80/20

I voted "Everything", but for me, fishing dry flies provides so much more enjoyment than fishing subsurface.

I've been fly fishing "seriously" for less than a year. I'm one of those who used to think that trout were stupid and will bite into anything that passes in front of them.

I started fishing dries only, and with the help of the fine folks on this board, learned the 80-20 and started to learn what happens underneath is (probably) more important than what happens on the surface.

Jamie.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:24 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

.... I think it's more like 90/10 %

I'd fish on top all the time if I could, but that's not very practical
Visual is a lot more fun, and I don't mean with a bobber

for trout, it's about 40/60... top/sub
warm water....80/20.... top/sub
salt.... 10/90 .... top/sub

I've fly fished exclusively since 1972
Old 05-17-2011, 08:35 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

I voted fish it all, though I fish dries when there out and fish streamers 90% of my time on the water. I rarely if ever fish nymphs, just reminds me too much of being a little kid with a bobber and a hotdog!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-17-2011, 09:03 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of

Davo, I don't do hotdogs, mostly because I lived on a hog farm awhile.
But I got kid roots with a bobber. Roots fishin'!
Actually, I am a recovering dry-fly Nazi.
I see a nose, I'm on it. It's a rare day when I don't carry a second rod rigged for dries.
Mostly the water here is big, and we use a bit of weight (especially now). So, bobberville.
I will fish any style except drop-shot. But that's another poll.
Here, I think Rips right, 90/10 to be pragmatic.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Jim,

I couldn't find a choice that fit. When I lived in the North East I fished dries when it was obvious that it would be fun but stuck to my streamers probably 80% of the fishing. Here in AK. I only use a dry fly for grayling except for the rare day when the big rivers boil with char & trout responding to a blanket of stone flies. Those are rare days indeed so here it's 99.9% wet flies = Feather Wings, Salmon Flies and Spey style flies.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-17-2011, 09:13 PM

Ard, I believe sub-surface covers your style as well.
I would be happy as hell to be limited to wets/streamers!!!!
I say too often (true anyway) we are shaped by the waters we fish.
Really just curious, out of a hundred, how many limit themselves to dries, no matter what.
I know some of us fish 100% of the time, rather than 10-20%.

Jim

Last edited by Bigfly; 05-17-2011 at 09:33 PM.
Old 05-17-2011, 09:34 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Have only been on the fly since January. Would say that my percentage is 90/10 I fish with midges when I want to catch fish, but I also work on streamer and dry fishing techniques every time I go out.

Dave
Old 05-17-2011, 10:02 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I voted everything, but the truth is I'm flat no good with the nymphs. Been Fly Fishing three years. Still don't feel most takes with the nymphs.
I buy into the saying that the fish caught on top is 2" longer than the same fish caught subsurface. The only reason I buy into that is I can't catch them under water, LOL........except streamers
Old 05-17-2011, 10:20 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

All of it.

It depends so much on the time of the year for me. In early spring here it would be an waste of time to fish dries all day -- if you had any intention of catching a fish. Of course, there are a lot of days I would rather be casting dry flies - with no chance of catching fish - that doing most other things. So I nymph fish. In the early spring and if I can steal away in the winter, I nymph. And I can enjoy the hell out of it.

Once summer rolls around and I can reliable fish dries, prospecting with attractors, terrestrials or caddis/adams/etc between hatches - then I'll do that. But I'd have a hard time putting a percentage on my break down.

One thing I know for sure, I do not fish streamers nearly enough. Maybe 2%. I've been committed to doing it more, I just don't feel confident. This year I am going to do more.

O and I started fly fishing in my early 20s...been at it for about 15 years now.