The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: What is your favorite type of water
Large Tailwater 15 10.79%
Small Tailwater 28 20.14%
Freestone 41 29.50%
Spring Creeks 38 27.34%
Natural Lakes 13 9.35%
Reservoirs 4 2.88%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2007, 06:42 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: What type of water do you enjoy most?

In the lower 48 I would have to go with Large Tailwater. How could you not like water such as the San Juan, Lee's Ferry, Green (Utah), Green (Wyoming). I usually fish from a Kick Boat and these rivers are great for that style of fishing. In Alaska I would pick Free Stone. Frank
Old 04-03-2007, 12:38 PM

waterman is on a distinguished road

I like the variety of different waters there's something appealing about most as long as the fish are cooperating and the fishing isn't elbow to elbow.
Old 04-10-2007, 03:36 PM

Forgive my ignorance here but what exactly is "Freestone" water. I believe I've heard the term in fishing circles before but am unable to picture it, can someone elaborate or maybe give an example?

Thanks...
Old 04-10-2007, 03:57 PM

zerolimit is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman View Post
Forgive my ignorance here but what exactly is "Freestone" water. I believe I've heard the term in fishing circles before but am unable to picture it, can someone elaborate or maybe give an example?

Thanks...
The Rivers

This looks to be a pretty good descripton from the tightloops website. In addition to this, I've always thought of the freestone being distinguished from tailwaters by the lack of flood control (i.e. levies and dams) but I could be totally wrong in that thinking.
Old 04-10-2007, 04:00 PM

zerolimit is on a distinguished road

I voted small tailwater probably because it's where I got my start and where I feel most comfortable in understanding the dynamics of the fishery enough to fish with success. That and I'm not a boat owner so proficiently fishing some of other types of water is tough for me.

This is a great thread.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:08 AM

Great description, thanks for the link. As suspected I have fished Freestone water, just didn't know that's what it was called. Which brings up another question. On the tightloops website they refer to trout, their feeding and habitat when describing freestone water.

My question is, is it safe to assume that a warm water river could also be freestone, as the characteristics that make it freestone are of the river itself and not necessarily the species that inhabit it, right?

Oh... and don't let the avatar fool ya, I don't own a boat either so I'm walking/wading the rivers and creeks as well. I just have a thing for wooden boats. I am however giving serious thought to building one.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:10 PM
Prospecting for Trout

Piscator will become famous soon enoughPiscator will become famous soon enough

Here is the best definition that I could find:

Freestone River - This water source often comes from snowmelt high in the mountains. Freestone rivers and streams undergo major fluctuations in water flow, velocity and water temperature during the season. In the winter, these streams are very cold and often frozen over (with running water under the ice). In the spring these streams become raging torrents of snow fed runoff. Conversely, by the fall season, they can be reduced to a trickle.
High altitude freestone streams are not as fertile as tailwater and spring creeks, couple that with a shorter growing season and the result is smaller trout.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
Terry
Old 04-13-2007, 11:36 AM

Excellent!! Thank you both for the clarification.
Old 10-27-2007, 09:20 AM

trout champ will become famous soon enough

I voted large tailwaters, but really like smaller tailwaters I think Doug said it best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougm View Post
Curtis,

I've got to join Steve in his love for small waters ... Seems I am always alone ... perhaps more important than the fish are the many wonders of God that surround you.

Doug
Randy
Old 01-03-2008, 10:47 AM

DMV is on a distinguished road

Well it's hard to just pick one but, I would have to say natural lakes. Since I spend most of my time one the water as soon as the season opens, going for those muskie and Smallies. My other choice would have be freestone.

Cheers: Dave