The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Forum Polls (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/forum-polls/)
-   -   What type of water do you enjoy most? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/forum-polls/142-what-type-water-do-you-enjoy-most.html)

Curtis 02-28-2005 09:01 PM

What type of water do you enjoy most?

My favorite type of water is a large tailwater. I like the year round cool flows and the abundant insects that grow and hatch on these waters.

BigCliff 03-01-2005 11:27 PM

I like Freestoners because I like the excitement of fishing fast water. I do understand the appeal of casting a small fly on a light tippet and getting super excited to see a fish take, but I prefer the fast action of fishing freestone streams and all the challenges that come with them. I married a Czech girl, and love the Czech Nymphing technique to pick up trout as well.

I know that when my tired knees grow older, the appeal of pocket water will decline, but for now its for the turbulent waters I pine.

Thanks Curtis, for starting this fine thread.

Curtis 03-02-2005 12:13 AM

YOu are welcome and thanks for participating. You describe it in such a way as to make me start itching for some freestone water. Mmmm, spring is a comin!

Fish Bones 03-02-2005 08:52 AM

Curtis:

This is a great poll...

I am a small stream fanatic. I love the high mountain streams and spring creeks. I'm usually always alone and at piece with nature and all if its grandeur. I love to fish many small streams in Colorado... Mostly the Durango area. I also frequent New Mexico.

dougm 03-02-2005 11:17 AM

Curtis,

I've got to join Steve in his love for small waters ... Seems I am always alone ... perhaps more important than the fish are the many wonders of God that surround you.

Doug

Piscator 09-13-2005 04:59 PM

Re: What type of water do you enjoy most?

I love the small streams when it comes to trout fishing. I hope to be on the Spillway Creek at the Lower Mountain Fork come Sept 23rd, 24th, & 25th with my new Echo 3wt!!!! Looking forward to being in moving water.
Thanks,
Terry
P.S. Planning a trip to New Mexico next summer to fish a small stream or two.

easternflyfisher 09-13-2005 07:59 PM

wheres a choice for all of em! i honestly dont have a favortie. i love lakes, resivors moving water, anything!

BigCliff 09-16-2005 11:15 AM

Those between 50 and 70 degrees farenheit.

Roughrider 09-17-2005 12:30 PM

I voted for large tailwater. Since I am a guide on the San Juan I guess I am partial to tailwaters, but I love fishing lakes and small steams also. Something about being on a small lake or stream and having the whole area to yourself is awesome. It helps to recharge the batteries and put life into perspective.

Colorado Cajun 01-23-2007 12:05 PM

I'm a freestone guy myself. All the tail waters around here get way too crowded. I hit them once in awhile but I like to get out on the Arkansas River where things are spead out. I also like float tubing in the resorivoirs and fishing the small creeks. While I enjoy catching big fish just like everyone else, I'm just as content with catching the small ones too.