The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Forum Polls (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/forum-polls/)
-   -   Waders vs. Shorts (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/forum-polls/147462-waders-vs-shorts.html)

damod 06-09-2011 05:23 PM

Waders vs. Shorts

When I was growing up I was always told not to use waders because they present a potential drowning hazard and to just tough it out..

I personally fish in shorts and flip flops even in the cold streams.

Anyone else rough it around here?

fyshstykr 06-09-2011 06:34 PM

Re: Waders vs. Shorts

"Depends"......When the rivers run too cold, or dirty I wear waders, but when temps start spiking on the high end it's time for shorts and wading boots.

If it's in stillwaters or ponds I'll also wader up. I've seen one too many Leeches go where they shouldn't!:surprise:

jcw355 06-09-2011 06:43 PM

I'll wear wading pants. I scratch chigger and tick bites too much and would get something from the water.

milt spawn 06-10-2011 12:46 AM

At my age, Depends are necessary. milt.

nerka 06-10-2011 03:00 AM

I am generally in waders. Because in AK, even on the warmest day I am still asking for trouble by going bare legged. It gets you dead. Literally.

Glen Wright 06-10-2011 10:04 AM

I don't wear Depends yet... However, location and water temperature determine whether or not I wet wade.

Quote:

Originally Posted by fyshstykr (Post 268864)
Leeches go where they shouldn't!:surprise:

As far as I'm concerned anywhere they attach themselves to me is somewhere they should go. Though there sure are regions that are worse then others. :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by nerka (Post 269029)
I am generally in waders. Because in AK, even on the warmest day I am still asking for trouble by going bare legged. It gets you dead. Literally.

Is that, because of hypothermia, the giant masquitos or...?

MoscaPescador 06-10-2011 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by milt spawn (Post 269009)
At my age, Depends are necessary. milt.

I had a feeling that some would make a "Depends" joke.

Dennis

Edit: I chose depends on the poll. I may go fishing later this afternoon and evening. The air temperature will be 90 degrees in the Sierra Foothills, but the water will be around 50 degrees. Think major shrinkage. I'll be wearing my waders with at least a base layer.

Dennis

Bigfly 06-10-2011 12:41 PM

Dennis, we haven't made it up to 50 yet here.
Swings between 42-47. No shorts yet.
But it has spawned another idea from bigfly industries.
"Hot Pocket"
A special pouch with a sleeve that accepts those chemical packets for hands.
Just the thing for fathers day. Makes your girl happy too.
"FIGHT THE SHRINK!"

randyflycaster 06-10-2011 12:43 PM

In some New York streams wet wading is not allowed.

Randy

dean_mt 06-10-2011 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randyflycaster (Post 269156)
In some New York streams wet wading is not allowed.

Randy

Is this a law? What could possibly be the reasoning behind this? I cannot think of any reason. How can a state outlaw going into water without goretex on??

Anyway, I voted "depends". When water is high and/or cold I like to focus on fishing, not freezing my a$$ off. When it's hot and buggy, I wet wade, but never in shorts. If you don't own a pair of fast drying nylon pants, get some. They are so much more comfortable than shorts. When it's really hot out, they stay wet/damp for a while and keep you cooler but are never soaked or heavy. Plus bush-whacking through tall grass, briars, mosquito swamps etc is not very enjoyable in shorts, not for me.