The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: What Fly Fishing Organizations do you belong too?
Federation of Fly Fishers 27 23.48%
Trout Unlimited 56 48.70%
Local Fly Fishing Club(s) 47 40.87%
Other 17 14.78%
None of the above 27 23.48%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2008, 01:00 PM

SouthernSteve is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What Fly Fishing Organizations do you belong too?

I belond to FFF and the Mangrove Coast Fly Fishers - Sarasota, Florida, West Coast of Florida, Fly Fishing Club in Sarasota, FL
Old 02-11-2008, 12:05 AM

GRN will become famous soon enough

FFF 'lifer', TU year to year.
Old 03-25-2008, 10:34 AM

jackmcmanus21 is on a distinguished road

none unfortunately....I'm going to look locally to see if there are any here in NEPA
Old 04-26-2008, 06:57 AM

Bill Ensor is on a distinguished road

I belong to and am a strong supporter of The Atlantic Salmon Federation. The world leader in conservation of wild Atlanctic salmon also publishes an excellent quartely magazine The Atlantic Salmon Journal, included in membership and can be found on selected magazine racks.
Take a kid fishin'
Bill Ensor
PS; You can take a kid fishin' or go fishin' with a kid, there is a difference!

weightfwd@hotmail.com
Old 11-13-2008, 11:54 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Actually, I erred in not checking off the Federation of Fly Fishers, as the local organization I belong to (Texas FlyFishers of Houston) is affiliated with them. Just to fill this out, I also belong to the Guadalupe River Trout Unlimited Chapter of Trout Unlimited.
Old 11-14-2008, 08:38 PM

tgoodwater2002 will become famous soon enough

I am with Cornhusker Fly Fishers Club in Nebraska. Great group of people here!
Old 11-16-2008, 12:18 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

I belong to the semi-local Isaac Walton League, but no trout or fishing clubs. I don't know of any in my area or how to contact anyone.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:46 PM

cujo is on a distinguished road

Trout Unlimited here.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

For those of you that are new to fly fishing, I highly recommend checking out the links below for fly fishing groups in your area, You’ll learn a ton, and it’ll take years off your learning curve. You’ll also meet some new friends, as well as get some satisfaction from helping to conserve and protect the resource and support advocacy for the sport on things like public access etc.

Trout Unlimited’s mission is “cold water conservation” and it’s orientation from a national and local perspective is to fight the fight to protect trout/salmon fisheries, and is open to all who’d like to join including spin and bait fisherman. But from a practical perspective most of the local chapters are very oriented to fly fishing for trout and anything else that swims, and have regular meetings with topics like where to go, tactics, etc. with casting clinics, tying classes, group trips to local and far off waters etc. Here’s a search page to find a chapter near you:
Council/Chapter Search | Trout Unlimited - Conserving coldwater fisheries

Federation of Fly Fishers is another excellent organization. In addition to being an advocate for the resource, it’s main mission is the education and promotion of fly fishing as a sport. Local clubs offer regular casting clinics, tying classes and a host of programs and activities. The FFF also runs a national fly casting certification program and maintains a database of certified fly casting instructors. Because the mission of FFF is broader than TU’s “coldwater” orientation, you’ll find FFF chapters in trout free areas more oriented towards warm water, as well as trout areas., and many saltwater oriented clubs are also affiliated with FFF. You can do a search for FFF affiliated clubs here:
Locate a Club

The Izaak Walton League Izaak Walton League of America is another group that might be worth checking out. Named after the dude that wrote the Compleat Angler back in the day, 1653. (A very interesting read, and I’m sure he’d be posting on this board if he was still around.) Here’s a PDF of their affiliated clubs:
http://www.iwla.org/chapters/Chapter_012009.pdf

There are also many other clubs and orgs out there. You can do “the google” to hunt them up in your area, or check in with your local fly shop, and of course post questions here in the forum if you’re looking for some leads for groups in your area. Chances are there’s a group out there near you.

There are also a ton of orgs out there worthy of your support depending on your interests with more of a conservation focus--- Coastal Conservation Association, CalTrout, Atlantic Salmon Federation etc etc. but these are less focused on fly fishing skills.

Over the years I've belonged to a few. TU, some SW clubs affiliated with FFF, and some more regional conservation groups like the American Littoral Society which runs a fish tagging program to monitor movements of striped bass up and down the coast-- you get a bunch of plastic spaghetti tags to tag fish, record data (length where/when caught) send it in and get notified of growth date and location if recaptured.

peregrines