The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: What type of leader do you use?
Tapered 68 50.00%
Knotted 32 23.53%
Furled 42 30.88%
other? 13 9.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 10:53 PM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to beholdCutThroat Leaders is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What type of leader do you use?

Sweetandsalt.....

Yes, our furled leaders are created with a knotless taper. The taper varies with line weight you are fishing and type of leader. Nymphing leaders for heavy flies are shorter with a heavier butt section, dry fly leaders are longer and have a more gradual taper. I hope that helps.

Feel free to contact me directly with any additioanl questions.

We now have a great Hi-Vis Dry Fly leader. For those times when you are thowing tiny flies (20-26) and you cannot see the fly. The last 6" of leader is bright orange. It acts as a strike indicator, but still gently presents the fly.

check us out on-line....

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 04-25-2012, 04:07 PM

lthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of lightlthrnk03 is a glorious beacon of light

I came across a video on youtube on making your own "furled" leaders. They're really twisted mono, but I like them a whole lot better than the commercially available tapered leaders. Plus, I enjoy making them!
Old 04-25-2012, 05:35 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Even though I made my own knotted leaders for many many years using many systems including my own & The Ritz,they were good,however terrible for night Fishing when there was wind around.
I now use Commercial Tapered Leaders with my own Tipit added for Stream Fishing as I can usually see any unwanted knots,I also use Furled Leaders as well as a length Normal Mono,about 6-8 Ft with a Dropper for Night Fishing attached to a Loop on The Flyline with a 18" - 2ft Braid Section which I find works quite well especially around weedbeds as I don't get the Windknots as I did with Tapered Leaders which caused the loss of many Big Fish,probably because I didn't check as much as I should have..
Brian
Old 04-25-2012, 05:39 PM

trout sniper is on a distinguished road

Furled leaders are da bomb. I can make them myself for pennies on the dollar of what I would normally pay for a leader, and they turn over a nymp/indicator rig, dries, and a hopper/dropper setup WAY better than any conventional leader.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:00 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

trout sniper.
I agree,the Furled Leaders will turnover Flies from #20 to Big Streamers,with Droppers etc, etc,however they are a bit different to use at first.
A friend also uses them which he brings in from The USA for all his Fishing as he swears by them.
Brian
Old 04-25-2012, 06:25 PM

trout sniper is on a distinguished road

I agree 100%. They are different, and as with all things, take some getting used to before they can be used most effectively. I still use conventional tapered leaders in some situations, though.
Old 10-21-2012, 09:51 PM

tommyc_295 will become famous soon enoughtommyc_295 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to tommyc_295

I've always used tapers leaders.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:40 AM

650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about

I started using Cutthroat leaders this Summer in Montana and am sticking with them. I use there Ultimate Dry Fly, Dry Fly & Nymph on my 4 & 5 WTs - they were perfect. The 50" is a great fit on my 2 and 3 WTs.
Just ordered a number of leaders for gifts for some of my buddies

These leaders are high quality, durable and cast beautifully.

The owner, Mike is extremely personable - even pointed me towards some nice trout water in his old stomping grounds near Glacier MT.

I am pondering giving them a go in the CA surf for corvina and possibly other species.

Also, check out the NZ strike indicator system they have - love mine for selective trout.

Last edited by 650flyguy; 12-01-2012 at 10:34 AM.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:34 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

No commercial leaders here. I do use furled leaders but mine are all hand made..by me.
So I am able to pay more attention to detail., I think.
I like mine tighter than the commercial I tried, but that is just my preference and one I can fix.
I have been using thee same leader all summer catching 100's of Carp and one wind knot is all.
Guest1 likes this.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:37 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I use Joni's to.