The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: What type of leader do you use?
Tapered 68 50.00%
Knotted 32 23.53%
Furled 42 30.88%
other? 13 9.56%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 03:41 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: What type of leader do you use?

+1 for joni's leaders.
i have many of them and they have all performed flawlessly

casey
Guest1 and fredaevans like this.

ARFE
Old 12-01-2012, 06:22 PM

650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about650flyguy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by CutThroat Leaders View Post
Sweetandsalt.....

We now have a great Hi-Vis Dry Fly leader. For those times when you are thowing tiny flies (20-26) and you cannot see the fly. The last 6" of leader is bright orange. It acts as a strike indicator, but still gently presents the fly.
Sounds like something I'll need to check out this Winter.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

That is a great aid I have been doing those upon request for several years. I like them.
Mine is at the line leader end however.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:50 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

After p*ssin away enough money on knotless tapered leaders from them not unwiding properly from the package.. I went immediately to furled leaders.. Have been using them for about 3 years now.. and haven't looked back.. mainly I used Wonderfurl Leaders as they work amazing imho.. a little expensive.. but i still have one of the first ones I've bought.. I also have one of Joni's leaders which I'm hoping to try out sometime soon.. but it'll be some time unless I want to trust my life in blaze orange.. which I'd rather not
Old 12-02-2012, 07:36 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

I really like simple. A tip I picked up from one of Dave Hughes' books. He uses commercial 7.5' 3x tapered leaders then adds tippet material as the situation dictates. Basically a 7.5' permanent butt section. I fish it 90% by adding 12-18" of 4x and then some 5x at the terminal end. This works well with most 8'-9' rods. For my shorter, lighter rods or really tight quarters I start with a 7.5' 4x then tie on the tippet.

I've never used furled leaders but I would assume this is the same theory only in mono.

Rich
Old 12-03-2012, 02:49 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

Furled leaders is the way to go. Buy them or make your own.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:05 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I fish furled leaders for wets and swinging streamers but learned quick that on the spring creeks I've been fishing the fine spray they kick out does spook those fish. So when I fish them I use a hand-built leader based on the Harvey Slack Leader. Knotless are fine too but I end up chopping them up to make a more limp butt section that I figured I'm better off building my own.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:59 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

Level strip of 6-8 pound test mono. I've tried all the others and don't like 'em.

Level leader is simple, easy, no knots to snag algae and for bluegill to bite, and flies turn over just fine. I'll probably never use a tapered leader again now that I'm used to this.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:19 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

May well be repeating myself here but I even use furled leaders on my 2handers. Both the floater and sinkers. With lightly weighted flies, the sinkers reallllllyyyyyyyyy sink ... like fast. Beginning to come to the conclusion they may be more effective that sinking poly leaders.
Old 12-03-2012, 08:57 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

That's where they really shine Fred, even if you need to get seriously deep hit them with some sinkit and they drop like lead! It's like having a sink tip for a skagit line without all the clunky nonesense.