The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: What type of leader do you use?
Tapered 68 49.64%
Knotted 32 23.36%
Furled 43 31.39%
other? 13 9.49%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2012, 10:07 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: What type of leader do you use?

Great idea Wt, never thought of using 'sinkit.' On my immediate 'buy list.'

Fred
Old 12-03-2012, 10:09 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: What type of leader do you use?

It'll make you forget all about poly leaders!
Old 12-03-2012, 10:15 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
It'll make you forget all about poly leaders!
You didn't need to tell me that ... I've scads of the things ......
Old 12-03-2012, 10:19 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I did too!!
Old 12-04-2012, 10:54 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by lthrnk03 View Post
I came across a video on youtube on making your own "furled" leaders. They're really twisted mono, but I like them a whole lot better than the commercially available tapered leaders. Plus, I enjoy making them!
I guess I'll wade in here. It's interesting to note the variety of opinions and preferences when it comes to leaders. A real testimony to the diversity of our sport and we who participate.

As lthrnk03 stated above, I too have discovered the simplicity and quality of hand "twisted" leaders made out of mono. I found the information in an article in a flyfishing mag quite a few years ago and I've been rolling my own ever since. They are simple to make, turn over like a dream from delicate dry flies to heavy multi-nymph rigs, and the cost to make them is very minimal. The transference of energy is as smooth as it gets in my opinion.

While I'm not here to discredit any other types of leaders, the question was what leader do you use, and this is what I use. From silver salmon in Alaska to a parasol nymph rig on my favorite spring creek for spooky brown trout, to fishing at depth in local stillwaters for aggressive rainbows, I use a twisted mono leader.

I rarely use anything but 2X mono to construct the leaders. Another real plus to using these leaders is they act much like a shock tippet having some stretch inherently built in to the design. I feel more confident if I have to fish 6X tippets to big browns in the spring creek. And, for those who might be a little heavy on the hook set, the stretch helps protect from leaving your fly in the fish when you set too hard or too quick.

My favorite multi-use leader is usually 8-feet long with a 30-inch piece of 2X on the terminal end to finish it off. For whatever type of fishing I do I will affix smaller tippets to the 2X depending on the circumstances - i.e.: dry flies, nymphing, streamers, etc.

I will post a step-by-step here on the site for those interested to learn how to "roll your own"!

Best Fishes,

Kelly
fredaevans and ponycarman like this.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

That is one thing that hasn't been mentioned, but as Kgliss pointed out, mono stretches. My mono do. Can be a good thing or very bad. It is like a snubber/bungee when hooking fish. Extra nice feature with stiff rods, but, get a snag and try to pull it free can be a mess.
I use 4mm mono in my leaders and they are almost as supple as the thread.
Old 12-04-2012, 11:31 AM

dar is on a distinguished road

If there was; "All of the above" I would have checked that.

I tie my own mono leaders for trout fishing with my graphite rods and use both furled thread and mono leaders on my 7' 4wt boo. Joni's mono furled leader is a great leader.

I do use commercial leaders but only on occasion. I keep a few in my vest when trout fishing, just in case. I do use a 7 1/2' 3x commerical leader when fishing for bluegills. I don't know why but I do.

Dave
Old 12-04-2012, 11:48 AM

The thing I find most interesting (in a general sense) about this thread/poll is the number of folks who use a Furled leader. I never would have suspected. But I am scratching my head just a bit, four options including 'other.' Given the first three the only 'other' I can think of is just a straight shot of leader material. Anything else?

fae
Old 12-04-2012, 12:19 PM

turbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really niceturbineblade is just really nice

I don't think this poll will tell you much of anything other than that people who prefer furled leaders are far more likely to answer a poll than the millions of others who just buy a packaged tapered leader and don't read threads

That's not to say that it isn't interesting, but I would guess that a "true" sampling of fly fisherman would show that something like 80-90% use a tapered leader they bought at the store.
Old 12-04-2012, 03:46 PM

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of

^^^ mostly because the average fly guy probably looks at a tapered leader $3-4.. and then sees a furled leader $12+ and goes "tapered does the trick.. why should pay more for a furled leader" and this continues to happen... a couple times a year.. every year.. while us furled guys go "why would you spend $4 on a leader multiple times a year.. when my 1 furled leader has lasted me a couple seasons now"