The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Forum Polls (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/forum-polls/)
-   -   What type of leader do you use? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/forum-polls/150962-what-type-leader-do-you-use.html)

dean_mt 06-18-2011 08:28 PM

What type of leader do you use?

I have used commercial tapered leaders for a long time. For better or worse, I often end up with some creation of my own design. I generally start with a 7 to 9' 4x and end up cutting it down and adding tippet when I change approaches. I just don't like carrying a bunch of leaders, seems like a pain to keep them organized, and I just don't like changing entire leader.

Long and short, I like to "customize" tapered leaders on stream. But I'm ready to buy some bulk materials and start building true knotted leaders. I've also read some posts here about furling and am also interested in this.

So please share your preferences, experience and knowledge on the subject!

Thanks!
Dean

Davo 06-18-2011 08:54 PM

Re: What type of leader do you use?

For the most part in my own fishing I end up building my own knotted leaders. With clients and dry fly fishing I use tapered and then a combo of the tapered with tippet added until it is so cut back it needs changing. For my own personal streamer fishing I tie my own. Also do the same for my saltwater fishing. For my freshwater dry fly fishing I start with a tapered leader and add on as required.

Hardyreels 06-18-2011 09:32 PM

Hi Dean,

I filled in the dot on 'Other' because I build / design my own sinking leaders for wet fly trout & salmon fishing. I will give particulars of a design that is preforming well for me on the "The End of The Line" sticky thread located in the "Fly Lines" sub forum. I'll edit the materials and construction into the opening post. This way it will not become lost in a thread and some members who fish streamers may find it useful. Good thread here,

Ard

Guest1 06-18-2011 09:33 PM

I make my own with ANDE mono. I know what it will break at and can make them to suit what I'm doing.

milt spawn 06-19-2011 12:24 AM

I use tapered for trout, when they get stubby I'll put them on a bass rig. I also use straight mono sometimes. I'll keep using it until the new nano lines are out. milt.

dean_mt 06-19-2011 12:41 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys. Davo - sounds kind of like the same as I do. Ard - I'll look up your formula, I haven't stumbled onto the "End of the Line" thread yet, thanks. Dan, that is why I am interested in tying my own. Milt, when mine get "stubby" is when I begrudgingly buy a new tapered and start over.

caseywise 06-19-2011 08:39 AM

i've been using furled leaders and floro tippets for the past couple years.

casey

Rip Tide 06-19-2011 09:36 AM

I've hand tied my own leaders for over 20 years

Hardyreels 06-19-2011 11:10 AM

Hi Dean,

It will be at least a day till I put it up. I should provide pictures so people don't have to to imagine what I am trying to say. Like any advice I offer here this has proven to me that it works; the leader casts well, turns over well, and sinks like a stone.

The thread I refer to is in the 'Fly Lines' sub forum. When I edit the info in I will bump the thread so it appears on the board. If you miss that I'll link you to it via PM.

Ard

dean_mt 06-19-2011 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyreels (Post 273573)
Hi Dean,

It will be at least a day till I put it up. I should provide pictures so people don't have to to imagine what I am trying to say. Like any advice I offer here this has proven to me that it works; the leader casts well, turns over well, and sinks like a stone.

The thread I refer to is in the 'Fly Lines' sub forum. When I edit the info in I will bump the thread so it appears on the board. If you miss that I'll link you to it via PM.

Ard

Thanks Ard, I found the sub forum last night, great thread. I have a question re: materials that I'll post over there, but I am wondering what the difference is between Maxim Chameleon, Clear and Ultra Green (aside from the color of course) and is it significant?