The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2008, 05:16 AM

aroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura aboutaroostookbasser has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Most Productive Flies

thanks FG...I appreciate all the input.....

"As The deer Thirts For Water, I thirst for you Oh Lord"

North Woods Wanderings
Adventure into the North Woods.......

"Aroostook Flyers and Tyers"
Old 04-27-2008, 10:53 AM

Midgeaholic is on a distinguished road

I am a tailwater fisherman, my home water(s) is the San Juan. Most tailwaters have similar biomass due to the water temp and speed of flows. usually the predominant entomology will range from several species of midges to some may flies. I fish baetis and midges almost exclusively but, I will use an occasional leech imitation or ants in july. I have developed my own midge patterns that I tie dry and wet, from sizes 22-30. I would have to say that the fly I use 90% of the time is a # 26 black parachute midge with gray ribbing on the surface and the same color pattern midge larva or emergers when below. hence the name midgeaholic
Old 04-28-2008, 08:39 PM

plland is on a distinguished road

As my signature would suggest, the black woolly bugger. I tie mine especially thin-bodied. Sometimes I tie one with peacock herl instead of black chennile and a brown marabou tail. These catch lots of fish in sections of streams where the water surface is not riffley. In a riffle, I'll use nymphs, however. Dry flies are fun (which is why I usually tie a dry on as an indicator), but subsurface fly fishing is where I have more consistent success.
2. What I use when a black #10 woolly bugger isn't catching.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:55 AM

Douglas Wesson is on a distinguished road

Whew, tough question, but I'd have to go with a medium sized black WB.
Old 01-02-2009, 07:09 AM

Douglas Wesson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by aroostookbasser View Post
Impressive selection......... 1.what do you use in lakes?
2. what for streams? 3. Dryfly favorites? 4. Caddis imitators? 5. Hopper copiers? 6. best nymph?

Break it down for me...... interested in cross country data.... to see common answers .....

Thanks
AB
Lakes--WB's, # 18 pt nymph (by weed beds), bunny leech.
streams--mostly #10 bead head prince nymph, soft hackle, WB's, muddler minnow, Wluff royal coachman, house & lot variant, pretty much any fly in my box, but those are ones I'll go to first depending on conditions.
Dry favorite--another tough question. If its hopper season there is no question. Other than that the Wluff royal coachman or house & lot variant.
Caddis--how could be anything but the Elk Hair caddis.
Hoppers--I like the foam body ones cuz its a pretty easy tie.
Nymph--gotta be the #10 Prince nymph, (here in the NW it is a close match to a stone fly).
As you can see I'm more of searching pattern type than match the hatch type of fly fisher.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:34 PM

Troutwhisperer will become famous soon enoughTroutwhisperer will become famous soon enough

1.parachute adams
2.griffiths gnat
3.any type of adams
4.elk hair
5.joes hopper
6.none

I mostly dry fly fish, its a little less to do. i can enjoy myself and only get distracted by occasional fish.

"I have a river runs through it on blue ray, so yeah, I guess you could say I know a thing or two about fly fishing."

http://mtwhitefish.blogspot.com
Old 02-19-2009, 03:10 PM

Pavel will become famous soon enough

I would say that I have "2 GO TO" flys and they would be the flashback pheasant tail nymph for browns, and an olive bugger for smallies.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by plland View Post
As my signature would suggest, the black woolly bugger. I tie mine especially thin-bodied. Sometimes I tie one with peacock herl instead of black chennile and a brown marabou tail.
Try making the body with wrapped flashabou. This makes the body VERY slender and adds a nice effect. Of course you'll have to overwrap the hackle with wire to keep it in place. It also helps to tie the Marabou in along almost the entire hook shank so that you've got a more consistent and larger cylinder to wrap the flashabou around. Blue flashabou with black tail and hackle does VERY well down deep. Other winners are chartreuse flash with olive, holographic silver with gray, and holo gold with tan. I generally tie them with beads or cones.

Steps: (in case it sounds weird)
1- put bead/cone on the hook, mount hook in vise
2- start thread and tie in marabou tail, wrapping along hook shank, leaving 1/8" of space for tying off behind bead/cone
3- tie in wire
4- cut off 6 or 8 strands of flashabou (full length) align tips with end of tail and tie in half on either side. (its generally easiest to tie in all strands on top near the middle of the shank, then arrange them on sides of tail, hold them in place with the left hand, and make wraps to the bend)
5- pull the long ends past the tail and make thread wraps to tie them down all the way to the tail, then advance the thread back to the bead.
6- wrap the flash around the shank, progressing to the bead, and tie off
7- prep a hackle and tie in at the stem, then wrap overhand to where the wire is tied in
8- move the hackle tip to your left hand and wrap the wire overhand to the bead (making sure its crossing the hackle stem while wrapping)
9- Tie off wire, snap off excess with a tug, whip finish and cement

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:47 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Whoa!!
The "Picket Pin" I havn't heard that fly mentioned in years.
Hello Fysh,

Here's the fly that I tied for the St. Patty's Day swap. Guess what it is?

http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/ph...cksDaySwap.jpg

Yup, it's my tie of a Pkcket Pin!
Old 02-19-2009, 07:59 PM

Pocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond reputePocono has a reputation beyond repute

Back to the thread. I'm going with troutwhisperer; the parachute Adams is my favorite searching pattern #16; whether there's a hatch going on or not. If that doesn't work, then I reach for my #2; a black Stewart spider (wet fly / just tying thread and a palmered soft hackle), usually a #14. Both flies fished very differently. My number three is Joni's #1 for rivers; the red Copper John in a #16.

Those three patterns will produce a lot of fish in the Catskills/Poconos streams. In fact, I could probaby throw all of my other flies away and catch just as many fish...............but I won't!