The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: How many kinds of fish do you target?
1 4 16.00%
2 5 20.00%
3-5 4 16.00%
6-10 8 32.00%
11 or more 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2011, 07:41 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: How many kind of fish do you target?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Like tiny, angry Tarpon.
dan,
i was wondering if i could find these guys here in the chicagoland area?
if so, what kind of gear might i use? im assuming a 4 or 5 weight rod would suffice.
and what about fly selection?

casey

ARFE
Old 08-19-2011, 08:32 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Whoops. Guess I should have read your initial post before I voted, Dan. I voted "6-10," ticking off LM bass, SM bass, white bass, stripers, brown trout, rainbows, brooks, splake, tiger, and cutts. But according to your qualifier, I guess I'm down to two (bass and trout), unless you count the bluegill I've caught while trying to catch bass. Oh, and two minnows, and one very stubborn crawdad.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 08-19-2011, 08:53 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Just one for me Trout

But I go thru phases every 7 or 8 years.

Trout or salmon will probably finish out my life, well maybe a few pike too and yeah some walleye. But without a doubt I am thru with bass fishing, well perhaps on a fly rod and that's all...period. Would like to catch a few more grayling and at least one bull trout.

Dave
Old 08-19-2011, 10:43 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
dan,
i was wondering if i could find these guys here in the chicagoland area?
if so, what kind of gear might i use? im assuming a 4 or 5 weight rod would suffice.
and what about fly selection?

casey
I looked and they have them listed as an Illinois species, but they have no state record for them. That may just mean nobody has tried to turn one in for the record. A 4 or 5 wt is plenty big enough for them. The best flies I have found are small white may fly imitations. We have hatches of them all summer long. You can watch them pick them off the surface as they drift down the river. I'm sure you can find a similar type thing there if you have mooneye. Try calling your local fisheries office and ask them where the nearest river is with Mooneye. Here are some of the flies that work for me.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-20-2011, 12:28 PM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

I've been fishing since I'm a little boy, 5 years ago I decided to go back and recatch every type of fish again, but on a fly rod (minus the offshore and deep sea fish). So far I have:
Bass- LM, SM
Panfish
Trout, Brown and Rainbow
Pikerel
White Perch
Perch
Common Carp
Striped Bass
Bluefish
Fluke
Weakfish
False Albacore
Old 08-20-2011, 03:29 PM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

Just the fine-spotted kind for me!

Trout that is. O wait, what about Whiteys?! I don't usually "target" them though. Maybe once in awhile for the smoker...

I am not opposed to catching other species, there just happens to be trout everywhere I go!
Old 09-15-2011, 09:30 PM

zug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura aboutzug buggin has a spectacular aura about

trout and crappie for me
Old 01-21-2012, 02:00 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: How many kind of fish do you target?

If it swims it's a target. It's alot of fun catching multiple species and everyone of them has something to offer. Never upset when fishing smallies with a leech and a big carp latches on .
Can't count how many times bluegills saved a largemouth trip or cocktail blues filled in for a lack of stripers.
Sometimes I even target the oddballs just because they offer a new challenge. And man some of them are tough to get to take a fly but when you figure it out very satisfying !
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 01-21-2012, 03:02 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I somehow missed this poll when it was first posted. I fish trout and salmon and the odd time my best friend will twist my arm to go after bass and pickerel with him. He fishes them with hardware but I refuse to stoop to that
Old 01-21-2012, 04:25 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Nope, not cheating. You target other fish 'every year'.

I put 6 - 10 because Largemouth and Smallmouth are 1 kind, Crappie, Bluegill, pumpkinseed, Rock Bass and other assorted panfish are another kind for 2, Walleye and Sauger for 3, Pike and Musky for 4, Mooneye for 5, and Trout from the North Shore of Superior everytime I get down there for 6 etc. I didn't count everyone I have ever gone after because I don't live on the East Coast anymore and therefore can't fish for Bluefish for example. In fact I only got to fish for those while I was going to Sub School in Groton, CT. I only counted the ones I can do regularly now. 7 types and 16 species if I include Sturgeon which I only recently figured out how to do with a fly rod and am still refining the method. It's been a 'gear' type fish up till now, but I plan to change that thinking.

So far you guys are way more open to multiple species than the locals here.
Dan sturgeon is amazing please do tell how you catch them. also i fish for largemouth grass carp and sea trout.