The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Forum Polls (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/forum-polls/)
-   -   How many kind of fish do you target? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/forum-polls/174005-how-many-kind-fish-do-you-target.html)

Guest1 08-18-2011 11:38 PM

How many kind of fish do you target?

I live in a place that has a Walleye fixation. If you asked 90% of the fishermen here, "How many kinds of fish do you fish for?" you would get the answer, "Oh, just Walleye." I am just curious if this single fish fixation is common in other areas as well.
The reason I asked "how many kinds" instead of how many species, is for fish like Trout. If you target Browns, Rainbows and Brookies it should be answered as 1 for Trout as a "kind". Trout and Salmon as 2. Panfish and Bass as 2, no matter how many species of Bass you target etc. After that you can be more specific in the comment portion.

caseywise 08-18-2011 11:53 PM

Re: How many kind of fish do you target?

i hope im not cheating but im combining my local species here in illinois with the seasonal alaska fish i target every summer.
im not counting halibut because that is a deep sea gear deal.

casey

Davo 08-19-2011 12:16 AM

Freshwater is just trout for me. Saltwater is Bones, Tarpon, Permit, Snook and Reds. So my number is 6!!

Guest1 08-19-2011 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseywise (Post 304113)
i hope im not cheating but im combining my local species here in illinois with the seasonal alaska fish i target every summer.
im not counting halibut because that is a deep sea gear deal.

casey

Nope, not cheating. You target other fish 'every year'.

I put 6 - 10 because Largemouth and Smallmouth are 1 kind, Crappie, Bluegill, pumpkinseed, Rock Bass and other assorted panfish are another kind for 2, Walleye and Sauger for 3, Pike and Musky for 4, Mooneye for 5, and Trout from the North Shore of Superior everytime I get down there for 6 etc. I didn't count everyone I have ever gone after because I don't live on the East Coast anymore and therefore can't fish for Bluefish for example. In fact I only got to fish for those while I was going to Sub School in Groton, CT. I only counted the ones I can do regularly now. 7 types and 16 species if I include Sturgeon which I only recently figured out how to do with a fly rod and am still refining the method. It's been a 'gear' type fish up till now, but I plan to change that thinking.

So far you guys are way more open to multiple species than the locals here.

caseywise 08-19-2011 12:25 AM

dan,
i cannot wait to get my hands on a mooneye!:D
they look like a heap of fun to catch:D

casey

Guest1 08-19-2011 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by caseywise (Post 304152)
dan,
i cannot wait to get my hands on a mooneye!:D
they look like a heap of fun to catch:D

casey

Like tiny, angry Tarpon. :D

jimw 08-19-2011 05:31 AM

I picked more than 11 between cold, warm and saltwater its probally closer to 30 species. Im not picky but i think i like fishing for blue fish the most they are just plain mean.

nickj 08-19-2011 06:46 AM

Just trout for me.

Rip Tide 08-19-2011 07:32 AM

Trout, salmon, small mouth, large mouth, panfish (bluegill, crappie, white perch), northern pike, striped bass, bluefish, bonito and false albacore.

okuma 08-19-2011 07:39 AM

White bass, blue gill, trout/steelhead, smallmouth. With white bass being my #1 pick