The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: How many kinds of fish do you target?
1 4 16.00%
2 5 20.00%
3-5 4 16.00%
6-10 8 32.00%
11 or more 4 16.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2011, 11:38 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default How many kind of fish do you target?

I live in a place that has a Walleye fixation. If you asked 90% of the fishermen here, "How many kinds of fish do you fish for?" you would get the answer, "Oh, just Walleye." I am just curious if this single fish fixation is common in other areas as well.
The reason I asked "how many kinds" instead of how many species, is for fish like Trout. If you target Browns, Rainbows and Brookies it should be answered as 1 for Trout as a "kind". Trout and Salmon as 2. Panfish and Bass as 2, no matter how many species of Bass you target etc. After that you can be more specific in the comment portion.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:53 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: How many kind of fish do you target?

i hope im not cheating but im combining my local species here in illinois with the seasonal alaska fish i target every summer.
im not counting halibut because that is a deep sea gear deal.

casey

ARFE
Old 08-19-2011, 12:16 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Freshwater is just trout for me. Saltwater is Bones, Tarpon, Permit, Snook and Reds. So my number is 6!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 08-19-2011, 12:19 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
i hope im not cheating but im combining my local species here in illinois with the seasonal alaska fish i target every summer.
im not counting halibut because that is a deep sea gear deal.

casey
Nope, not cheating. You target other fish 'every year'.

I put 6 - 10 because Largemouth and Smallmouth are 1 kind, Crappie, Bluegill, pumpkinseed, Rock Bass and other assorted panfish are another kind for 2, Walleye and Sauger for 3, Pike and Musky for 4, Mooneye for 5, and Trout from the North Shore of Superior everytime I get down there for 6 etc. I didn't count everyone I have ever gone after because I don't live on the East Coast anymore and therefore can't fish for Bluefish for example. In fact I only got to fish for those while I was going to Sub School in Groton, CT. I only counted the ones I can do regularly now. 7 types and 16 species if I include Sturgeon which I only recently figured out how to do with a fly rod and am still refining the method. It's been a 'gear' type fish up till now, but I plan to change that thinking.

So far you guys are way more open to multiple species than the locals here.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:25 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

dan,
i cannot wait to get my hands on a mooneye!
they look like a heap of fun to catch

casey

ARFE
Old 08-19-2011, 12:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
dan,
i cannot wait to get my hands on a mooneye!
they look like a heap of fun to catch

casey
Like tiny, angry Tarpon.
Old 08-19-2011, 05:31 AM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about

I picked more than 11 between cold, warm and saltwater its probally closer to 30 species. Im not picky but i think i like fishing for blue fish the most they are just plain mean.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:46 AM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

Just trout for me.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:32 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Trout, salmon, small mouth, large mouth, panfish (bluegill, crappie, white perch), northern pike, striped bass, bluefish, bonito and false albacore.
Old 08-19-2011, 07:39 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

White bass, blue gill, trout/steelhead, smallmouth. With white bass being my #1 pick