The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: What release tool do you use?
Forceps (Hemostats) 117 68.02%
Pliers 7 4.07%
Ketchum Release tool 9 5.23%
Hands and fingers 30 17.44%
LDR (Long Distance Release) 1 0.58%
Gaff 0 0%
Boga Grip 5 2.91%
Other 3 1.74%
Voters: 172. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2008, 01:48 PM
ROVER is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What release tool do you use?

Forcepts seem to be my quickest release method. I don't like to carry a net too often so i use my hand to hold the fish and try to keep it in the water as much as possible.
Old 02-11-2008, 12:08 AM

GRN will become famous soon enough

Other - barbless hooks and a little slack once I have them to my boot... works for most, the rest see the net and my big fat finger
Old 02-13-2008, 12:14 AM

GeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to beholdGeorgeMcFly is a splendid one to behold
Send a message via AIM to GeorgeMcFly Send a message via Yahoo to GeorgeMcFly

fingers always work if its not deep. if not those forcepts work wonders. there is by all means still the best release of all (for the fish that is). that is you almost getting um in and then poof be gone. they get off and are long gone! lol.

owner of the GL Fishing Forum.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:00 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeMcFly View Post
fingers always work if its not deep. if not those forcepts work wonders. there is by all means still the best release of all (for the fish that is). that is you almost getting um in and then poof be gone. they get off and are long gone! lol.
Ahh the long line release!! Know it all to well. LOL

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-11-2008, 06:13 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Find it interesting that not many people use the Ketchum Release tool. You see them all over the place. I expected they were more popular than this poll shows. I never bought one cause I feared they would tear up the large flies we use on the Snake most of the summer.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-11-2008, 04:27 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
Find it interesting that not many people use the Ketchum Release tool. You see them all over the place. I expected they were more popular than this poll shows. I never bought one cause I feared they would tear up the large flies we use on the Snake most of the summer.
I've got one of those, but never used it. My vest's overburdened as it is, and my Rising Crocodile "hemostat" will also do pretty much the same thing as the Ketchum because toward the tip right before the clamp it forms an "O" to minimize mashing the fly. That "O" can also be slid down the tippit to the hook to release it Ketchum-style. I also think it complicates the Ketchum purchase decision that they come in three different sizes for different-sized flies.
Old 05-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Same here, I bought one of the Ketchum releases years ago, its still in my vest but I never have used it. Need to do a cleaning out of the vest as its got way too much junk in it. Usually, I just use my forcepts if the hook doesn't come out on its own (I like to crimp down the barb on my hooks).
Old 05-27-2008, 12:46 AM

liv2fish is on a distinguished road

Hemostats or my hands for everything but pike. For those critters I go with needle nose pliers. Last summer had one tear open my hand while I was in a rush, by just brushing against it and not even biting down.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:49 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo View Post
Hi Davo,

I have used one occasionally since they came on the market. You have to size the Ketchum to the size of fly you are using. When you slide the tool down the line to the fly, the fly goes inside of the tube on the end of the tool. I have found that it works best on larger fish. With small fish, you don't have enough resistance to remove the fly. At least that has been my experience. You are right that some really big streamers might be a problem.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:05 PM

plland is on a distinguished road

What's a release tool?

I always use barbless hooks and the only fish, that I fish for, that swallow a lure so far I can't simply get it out with my fingers are bass. I rarely fish for bass, but when I do, I use foreceps to grab the hook and either a net or (usually just) my hands to grab the fish. When I fish for trout, I use a net to grab the fish and usually the hook will come out on its own as the fish flops around in the net. If the hook doesn't come out on its own, I just use my fingers. Trout tend not to swallow hooks from what I've seen so the foreceps would never get used whenever I brought them on trout fishing trips. Now, for mixed fisheries, where a bass and trout are of equal likelihood to eat my hook, I'll often bring foreceps anyway, even if I'm targeting trout.
2. What I use when a black #10 woolly bugger isn't catching.