The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: What release tool do you use?
Forceps (Hemostats) 115 68.05%
Pliers 7 4.14%
Ketchum Release tool 8 4.73%
Hands and fingers 30 17.75%
LDR (Long Distance Release) 1 0.59%
Gaff 0 0%
Boga Grip 5 2.96%
Other 3 1.78%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2009, 09:59 AM

bekiu002 will become famous soon enoughbekiu002 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: What release tool do you use?

I just use my hands, but I use hemostats if needed.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:46 AM

951tightline is on a distinguished road

Hemostats and wet hands.

Tight Lines
Scott
Old 03-26-2011, 02:41 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

I have used every method listed in the poll at one time or another, with a decided preponderance towards LDRs. I should have a degree in the 40 foot release.

When they do end up coming to my hand or net, I typically reach for my hemostats. However, I picked up one of the ketchum tools this year and have been testing it out. I will say it takes some practice to use the thing. The first few times were such a dismal failure that I ended up grabbing the hemostats after a couple failed release attempts.

I found it helps tremendously if you keep the fish submerged, with only his nose sticking out of the water. The line must be kept somewhat taut during the procedure. Slide the tool down over the fly until it hits the bend in the hook, then give a quick push in line with your tippet. This nearly always releases the fish.

Of course, I only use barbless hooks, so I have no idea how it works if the hooks are barbed. Now that I've had some practice, I like the tool, especially if the fish is hooked more deeply than say the tongue area. Once you get used to the thing it's a great little 'no hands' release tool, IMO.

However, if I had to choose one release tool it would definitely be my hemostats. Overall, I htink they are more versatile and user-friendly.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 04-16-2012, 09:31 PM

bennypapa is on a distinguished road

Forceps all the way for me
Old 04-17-2012, 02:03 AM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Hook removal tool eases releases - Spokesman.com - June 12, 2011 It beats the ketchum Release all hollow and I have a similar but bigger tool I use in the salt and for bigger flies. http://www.alltackle.com/arc_dehooker.htm I believe that the Inland Empire Fly Fishing club has the rights to this great device and they are an old and superb fly fishing group with many major conservation projects to their credit over the years. Last I heard Silver Bow Fly Shop in Spokane still sells them.

I also use a net at times, the Boga Grip and similar tools and barbless hooks in general but not for ease of dehooking fish necessarily. Have you ever tried to get a barbed hook out of your skull?

I still have my Ketchum Releaser but it's relegated to my things I bought but don't use box these days as are several other similar tools. Being a strong proponent of Selective Release I even have a Priest, jaw spreaders (Pike) and other misc tools to aid in releasing my catch to fight another day or to contribute to the larder of my family. In short I've likely tried them all as even my Handy Dandy Note~~er, sorry got caught up in a Blue's Clues moment, I meant my handy dandy yellow Ka-Bar fish knife has two blades, one of which is a toothpick style cutting blade and the other is a scaler, dehooker forked tip blade similar to my Victorinox Fishing Knife and a couple sets of my German made Overland Fisherman's Friend, ie the forerunner to the multi pliers of today.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/