The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: Bug Seining? Do you?
Never have 14 28.57%
Once or twice 15 30.61%
Semi-regular 13 26.53%
Can't seem to stop! 7 14.29%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2011, 11:36 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Bug seining?

Quote:
Originally Posted by planettrout View Post
Under rocks, stream side vegetation, in the drift and on my waders...use this too:

Insect net for the fly fishermen

PT/TB
That is exactly what I used. I liked it so much I had to buy another after giving the first away to a friend.
Sadly, it does not fit on the throat of my drop-dead beautiful Tropical Lightning nets so now I flip rocks, observe whats on the water surface and in the air.
Old 09-21-2011, 11:48 AM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

The main reason I asked, was yesterday we had some emergers pop in the net, and fly away. Most of us live in the future, or the past, fleetingly in the present..
Few things grab the customer (or me) with the force of watching bugs change from one life form to another. It is the now......and that is where we need to be, to catch trout!
Turning over rocks is good (I do that as well.), but the small stuff, is mostly caught in the net.
I got light colored mosquito netting, duct taped it to two sticks cut to fit my pack.
Do three separate seines.
1. Skim the surface for a while. Top 6" for 40 sec. Evaluate.
2. Do a full depth seine, but don't let water go over the top. 30-40 sec. Evaluate.
3. Repeat the full depth, but disturb the bottom, upstream of the net. 10sec.
The foamy water has the most bugs. But it is interesting to sample different parts of the stream. Back waters, silty stuff, grass, etc....
I'm math challenged, so we don't count, or key the bugs.
Just get out a flybox, hold it up, and compare colors and sizes.
I help little kids do it. (They pick their own flies.) You don't need to know the names, just the availability.
The skim/deep seine tells what is the menu's "special" right now.
The deep disturbed seine gives you most all the water menu, except for accidentals (hopper, ants, beetles, etc.), and the quick stuff like crays or fry.
Next to catching fish, it can be the highlight of the day....

Jim

Rip's stocking over the net is the cheapest, smallest, to carry. Almost nothing in your pocket.

Wanted to add, light colored material is best, most of the bugs are darkish. Helps to see them.

Last edited by Bigfly; 10-13-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-21-2011, 12:15 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
Rip's stocking over the net is the cheapest, smallest, to carry. Almost nothing in your pocket.
Actually I leave it right on the landing net.....keeps the net bag from getting caught in the underbrush.
Ghetto stylish too
Old 09-21-2011, 12:19 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future

I think it's "fish styly". Bro....
I tried wearing my legionnaires hat backwards, but kept falling down....
Old 09-25-2011, 02:48 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of

One thing for sure...since I started seining (thank you Jim) I find myself going to midges more often than ever before, and catching more fish...-m
Old 10-01-2011, 11:12 AM

Mikel, you are welcome. Sorry so slow to get back, fast and furious right now.
Trout eat a bunch of midges, because midges are almost always around.
That, and trout think small is safe....
Hope the East-side treated you well.....

Jim
Old 11-03-2011, 01:22 PM

dave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura aboutdave5977 has a spectacular aura about

Jimmie posted that he doesn't know how to sein for bugs. I can believe that a lot of fly fishers don't know how or never thought of doing it.
When I bought my pole many years ago, I took a class Los Gatos CA. In that class, seining was only briefly mentioned.
Years later, I took another class in Sandy OR. In this class, the instruction not only talked about it importance, but he showed us on the Sandy River how to do it and what to look for.
In this case, I'm sure I wouldn't sein at all if I had only taken the Los Gatos class.
I guess its a matter of who you meet and where you are...
Old 11-03-2011, 11:36 PM

Dave it is amazing how few do any sampling. Glad you were exposed.
We are fly fishers are we not? Aren't fish eating them?
I suffered from information overload when I started fishing, so maybe it is something we come to over time.
Sure wish somebody had showed me sooner...
I ask everyone I see if they want to try it. Total strangers on the water...
All my trips include one session. Why just guess?
Many of my friends didn't do it before we hooked up.
They all have their little nets now, and we spend 10-15 minutes each time out.
You just never know what you'll see.
Heck, you might even catch more fish too...
Old 11-04-2011, 05:54 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I'm taking an entymology class next weekend and seining will be part of the class. We are going to the river and will be actually doing some seining. The class is being taught by people who are on this particular river all the time so I'm hoping to learn something from the local "pros".
Old 11-04-2011, 09:49 AM

jcw, to me fishing without sampling, is a bit like ordering in a resturant without a menu...
You might get it right.....
Have fun and report back.

Jim