The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: Bug Seining? Do you?
Never have 13 27.08%
Once or twice 15 31.25%
Semi-regular 13 27.08%
Can't seem to stop! 7 14.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2011, 03:33 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice
Default Re: Bug seining?

Next weekend, hopefully there won't be any storming going on. I'm going to take my camera which has a super macro to a 1/2".
Old 11-14-2011, 05:49 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Here is a few different bugs we found this weekend, couple diffrent caddis, at least 4 different mayfly nymphs, sowbugs, scuds, leeches, crawfish, minnow, midges, stonefly and a couple others I forget what they were. Some can't be seen and some are in a pic I didn't post, forgot it.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 11-14-2011, 07:05 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Those are quite the assortments of critters you gathered there. How about sharing your technique. Shuffle? Top to bottom?
I'm only skimming the surface film now but it looks like I'm doind everything wrong or I fish the wrong rivers!
Old 11-14-2011, 07:36 PM

It was an Entomology class, we shuffled along the bottom. He wanted us to see everything there was in the water. It was well worth the $75 for the class. Fished a half day saturday then 5 hours of lecturing. Sunday was a 3.5 hour field trip where we seined and discussed fly selection. Fished from noon till 4, caught a nice brown on a PMD which was one of the mayflys that are hatching there.
Old 11-14-2011, 08:07 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I hardly ever do and when it do its to figure out what's on top of the water. All in all I tend to go along with what Dean Mt said, my patterns are more impressionistic than imitative. The entomology side is definitly interesting though.
Old 11-14-2011, 09:49 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I have a quick seine on my net, as others have mentioned, I seine in the river, along with checking rocks, bushes, etc. Funny I don't typically seine in the lakes, but then again, I can't always get to the depth I need to seine at (what are the fish eating at 6 feet down). I do look at the bugs on the surface when tubing, and I drag my net in the water while kicking out, then take a look at what was caught in it. So, I put semi-regular on my poll entry.

To be honest though, I like it when fish are rising, and you can see what they are rising too on the surface, and then throw em a dry fly. Most of my lake and river fishing is nymphs, but I do enjoy the days when there is a hatch going off, you can see what they are hitting, and you can get into the risers.

d
Old 11-15-2011, 09:12 AM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly

JCW, that is a nice haul.
Crays, mays, stones, and Caddis larva.
Looks like a Caddis Pupa too.
One of my favorites, because they are easy for fish to catch, and a Bird's nest in tan or green will work. Impressionistic, just not on the surface.
Just remember, the whole river bottom is connected into a single ecosystem.
You rock worlds as it were, when seining, so be kind.

Jim
Old 11-15-2011, 09:39 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I'd like to know what that big honker mayfly nymph is, the one messing with the craw's tail in the 4th pic. That bugger is huge!
Could it be a big ISO?
Old 11-15-2011, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wt bash View Post
I'd like to know what that big honker mayfly nymph is, the one messing with the craw's tail in the 4th pic. That bugger is huge!
Could it be a big ISO?
It is an Iso. We found two of those. March browns, BWO's and maybe he said PMD were the others. Might have been a cahill. Cool just finding all that.
Old 11-16-2011, 02:41 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

october caddis....