The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: Bug Seining? Do you?
Never have 13 27.08%
Once or twice 15 31.25%
Semi-regular 13 27.08%
Can't seem to stop! 7 14.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-21-2011, 12:51 PM

Bigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant futureBigfly has a brilliant future
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: Bug seining?

Madjoni, nice shot.
We have too much snow for those guys....
How about posting the fly you used to fish alongside the hatch.
Maybe the thread is in the wrong place (Tying).
I think more than a few anglers, besides beginners, would enjoy seeing what others choose to match the bugs in their area..
Especially you rad euro guys!!!
Old 11-21-2011, 02:00 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
Madjoni, nice shot.
We have too much snow for those guys....
How about posting the fly you used to fish alongside the hatch.
Maybe the thread is in the wrong place (Tying).
I think more than a few anglers, besides beginners, would enjoy seeing what others choose to match the bugs in their area..
Especially you rad euro guys!!!
that sounds good and probably will be interesting thread
Old 04-16-2012, 09:25 PM

bennypapa is on a distinguished road

never have. Wonder what I'm missing
Old 05-05-2012, 10:24 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

After reading Hatches II I couldn't wait to try it. I ran to the hardware store, bought some replacement window screening, stapled it to a pair of broom handles, and gave it a shot. My daughter went with me and we were both amazed at the numbers and diversity of aquatic insects that we found. It even lead me to a hatch that I never knew existed on the upper stretches of a small, local stream near my home in PA - Blue-winged Olive (Drunella lata).

I still have it (walked past it in the garage this afternoon) but I haven't gotten it out since moving to Utah. Maybe it's time to kick up a few stones and see what's crawling around in the local streams out here.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:17 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Don't start!!!!! It's habit forming. I went from the little Aquarium net to the nylon stocking & next thing I knew I was taking Aquatic Entomology courses. I then joined a watershed association & started up as a stream sampler. Next thing I had to have a camera that took decent macros . Now I'm doing an in depth (Pun) stream study on the river I fish. There was a lot of "professional" stream improvement work done on the river & I'm seeing how much damage was done. I now have a $100. D kick net, all kinds of seines & bottles,trays etc. I even went so far as to get a cheap digital microscope. Well to put it in perspective I don't have much time to fish,but I sure know what flys to tie. & I would tie them too if the damm dog had'nt sniffed out my feathers & fur & ate most of them.

Want a good book , look a the book "Bugs"
want a good PP presentation http://www.nwnature.net/macros/docs/know_macros.pps
Old 05-07-2012, 05:38 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Incidently I was Fishing with a couple of Guys from Sydney who travel about 80-90 Miles most Saturday Nights to fish The Local Lake,after Casting to Rising Fish one of The Guys came out if The Water & a Trout Rose exactly where he was standing,he was amazed,I explained that he had disturbed something on the bottom which rose to the surface which The Fish were feeding on.
Also I've also seen it whilst wading in Rivers & Creeks where Fish moove on The Surface after walking into the Running water as feed is dislodged & floated downstream.
Brian.
Old 05-07-2012, 11:46 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liphookedau View Post
Incidently I was Fishing with a couple of Guys from Sydney who travel about 80-90 Miles most Saturday Nights to fish The Local Lake,after Casting to Rising Fish one of The Guys came out if The Water & a Trout Rose exactly where he was standing,he was amazed,I explained that he had disturbed something on the bottom which rose to the surface which The Fish were feeding on.
Also I've also seen it whilst wading in Rivers & Creeks where Fish moove on The Surface after walking into the Running water as feed is dislodged & floated downstream.
Brian.

Hi Brian, They call that the " San Juan Shuffle"
Old 10-15-2012, 12:09 AM

racine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the roughracine is a jewel in the rough

I started my last trip with a 15 fish afternoon proceeding to a slow morning the next day. I had fish sipping, jumping and tailing all around me but I had modest success. When I pulled out my sieving net to see what was being taken I found a multitude of #22-24 grey midges. When I switched to that I went from a 20 fish day to over double that. I guess I'll keep that net.
stenacron likes this.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:23 PM

stenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud ofstenacron has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by racine View Post

I started my last trip with a 15 fish afternoon proceeding to a slow morning the next day. I had fish sipping, jumping and tailing all around me but I had modest success. When I pulled out my sieving net to see what was being taken I found a multitude of #22-24 grey midges. When I switched to that I went from a 20 fish day to over double that. I guess I'll keep that net.
Adjusting on the fly (no pun intended)... so many people would leave the same fly on all day and gripe later about how the fish just "turned off" after a while.

Nice work!

"We fish for pleasure; I for mine, you for yours." -James Leisenring