The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Forum Polls (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/forum-polls/)
-   -   Bug seining? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/forum-polls/185423-bug-seining.html)

Bigfly 09-20-2011 12:14 PM

Bug seining?

The classic pose for a fly fisher, is staring into a fly box.
(For a long time.)
Over my career, I've gone from never examining bugs, to spending a bunch of time with a net. (Several times a day.)
Just wondering how many of you look at'em?

madjoni 09-20-2011 01:07 PM

Re: Bug seining?

I watch them all the time :)

littledavid123 09-20-2011 01:09 PM

I have never seined for them but do turn over a lot of rocks and look thru the shallow weeds to see whats hanging around.

Dave

Rip Tide 09-20-2011 02:12 PM

I said "once or twice" but it's really more often than that.
I have a nylon stocking leg that I fit over my landing net and use that to seine.
If and when I carry the net, then I'll seine, but most often the net stays at home.

Jimmie 09-20-2011 06:27 PM

Had to vote "never have" even though I've wanted to do it. Just simply don't know how.

dean_mt 09-20-2011 10:31 PM

When I was just getting into fly fishing and trying everything that I read about my also green buddy that was learning at the same time bought a seine. We used it a couple times. I've never owned one. I've never done it myself. Which is curious now that you bring it up. I've thought about it the last couple years. I tie my flies. I love to improvise patterns to match what I think I see. So why don't I do it?

I'll say that I'm sure it could prove to be a useful tool and exercise. But there is a line, or current seam maybe I should say, that it feels like sometimes goes beyond the the mystery that I don't need to cross.

I mean, I observe bugs in the air, on the rocks, ect. I love catching mayflies by the wings and placing them on my knuckle to sit there unaware while I gaze at the size and shape and tails and wing and the elegant beauty of the whole thing. But when I am confounded by rising fish and have worn out my offerings...I find that a pheasant tail soft-hackle in the right size (ahh...how do you know what size? keep guessing and going smaller) will mimic just about anything and fool just about all but the most stubborn fish.

So after all that, I have to laugh at the point you make Bigfly, about the "quintessential" image of the fly fisher, rod under arm, as he/she gazes deep into the fly box searching for an answer! I've always thought that "postcard" image is so silly. But it must be how we are seen by the outside, the romantic version of the fly fisher...deep in consternation!

Nice poll. Thanks!

caseywise 09-20-2011 10:53 PM

i voted never.
nettig up bugs always looked like a viable way to see whats floatin around, but i choose to turn over a few rocks then go to a trial and error method with different patterns.

casey

MoscaPescador 09-21-2011 01:41 AM

I chose semi regular. When I walk and wade, I minimalize my load. I just don't want to carry a seine around. If I am using a watercraft to access fishable water, there is always one on the boat.

I will admit that whenever I seine, my catch rate is higher than it is without using one.

Dennis

Liphookedau 09-21-2011 03:17 AM

Even though it's a guide we all know works,however none of us like carrying the Nets around which doesn't stop us from looking under Rocks & Stones etc.

planettrout 09-21-2011 10:54 AM

Under rocks, stream side vegetation, in the drift and on my waders...use this too:

Insect net for the fly fishermen

PT/TB :p