The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Forum Polls

Forum Polls Find out what forum members think about various fly fishing topics.

View Poll Results: Bug Seining? Do you?
Never have 13 27.08%
Once or twice 15 31.25%
Semi-regular 13 27.08%
Can't seem to stop! 7 14.58%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2011, 12:14 PM

Bigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud ofBigfly has much to be proud of
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Bug seining?

The classic pose for a fly fisher, is staring into a fly box.
(For a long time.)
Over my career, I've gone from never examining bugs, to spending a bunch of time with a net. (Several times a day.)
Just wondering how many of you look at'em?
Old 09-20-2011, 01:07 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni
Default Re: Bug seining?

I watch them all the time
Old 09-20-2011, 01:09 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

I have never seined for them but do turn over a lot of rocks and look thru the shallow weeds to see whats hanging around.

Dave
Old 09-20-2011, 02:12 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I said "once or twice" but it's really more often than that.
I have a nylon stocking leg that I fit over my landing net and use that to seine.
If and when I carry the net, then I'll seine, but most often the net stays at home.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:27 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Had to vote "never have" even though I've wanted to do it. Just simply don't know how.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:31 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

When I was just getting into fly fishing and trying everything that I read about my also green buddy that was learning at the same time bought a seine. We used it a couple times. I've never owned one. I've never done it myself. Which is curious now that you bring it up. I've thought about it the last couple years. I tie my flies. I love to improvise patterns to match what I think I see. So why don't I do it?

I'll say that I'm sure it could prove to be a useful tool and exercise. But there is a line, or current seam maybe I should say, that it feels like sometimes goes beyond the the mystery that I don't need to cross.

I mean, I observe bugs in the air, on the rocks, ect. I love catching mayflies by the wings and placing them on my knuckle to sit there unaware while I gaze at the size and shape and tails and wing and the elegant beauty of the whole thing. But when I am confounded by rising fish and have worn out my offerings...I find that a pheasant tail soft-hackle in the right size (ahh...how do you know what size? keep guessing and going smaller) will mimic just about anything and fool just about all but the most stubborn fish.

So after all that, I have to laugh at the point you make Bigfly, about the "quintessential" image of the fly fisher, rod under arm, as he/she gazes deep into the fly box searching for an answer! I've always thought that "postcard" image is so silly. But it must be how we are seen by the outside, the romantic version of the fly fisher...deep in consternation!

Nice poll. Thanks!
Old 09-20-2011, 10:53 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i voted never.
nettig up bugs always looked like a viable way to see whats floatin around, but i choose to turn over a few rocks then go to a trial and error method with different patterns.

casey

ARFE
Old 09-21-2011, 01:41 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

I chose semi regular. When I walk and wade, I minimalize my load. I just don't want to carry a seine around. If I am using a watercraft to access fishable water, there is always one on the boat.

I will admit that whenever I seine, my catch rate is higher than it is without using one.

Dennis
Old 09-21-2011, 03:17 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Even though it's a guide we all know works,however none of us like carrying the Nets around which doesn't stop us from looking under Rocks & Stones etc.
Old 09-21-2011, 10:54 AM

planettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud ofplanettrout has much to be proud of

Under rocks, stream side vegetation, in the drift and on my waders...use this too:

Insect net for the fly fishermen

PT/TB

http://planettrout.wordpress.com/